aeration issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickxcom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Well I sure am glad that I ran into this site, hopefully you can answer my question.

I recently inherited a 10 gallon aquarium --way too small, I know I know, I am getting a 50+ gallon one as soon as I get a job :) -- and after cycling for a week, I added 2 mollies and an airstone. My question is this: the airstone puts out a TON of bubbles that do not dissipate, almost to the point of covering the water surface. When I open the tank to feed the mollies, which are behaving just fine, you can see the bubbles pop and the overall amount of bubbles goes down. What is the cause of this bubble build-up? Will the amount of bubbles on top of the water do anything negative to my fish? Would a top-dwelling fish such as a Butterfly fish be upset by this situation?

~Alot of questions, I know, but I will greatly appreciate any and all information, and I look forward to becoming part of the community!

Hmm what do you consider "cycled" ? Or is it still cycling?
You might want to buy a test kit, if you havn't already, and check on your levels to make sure you don't get an ammonia spike

Also, you don't *need* an aerator. If you have enough water surface movement then they will get enough oxygen that way. However, keep it handy for emergencies (tank over heats, fish suffocating etc). So if you don't want ANY bubbles, you can take it right on out.

Also, a butterfly fish shouldn't go in a 10gal. I will say, on a side note, that you should always, always research your fish compatibility before adding anything to a tank =o)
It will save you time and LOTS of money in the end =o)

I guess I should have said "still cycling, as it has only been established for about 2.5 weeks. Obviously, the mollies were added to start the cycle. I have been testing for ammonia, which, while dropping, is still registering on the tests. I do plan on getting a complete testing kit, sometime this week hopefully. I'm definately open to any brand suggestions. As much as I would like a butterfly fish, I guess those plans are out until I get my bigger aquarium :)

Back
Top Bottom