African Cichlid Newbie Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are so many cool Mbuna. I didn't realize there were so many different types. Cynotilapia Lupingu, Labidochromis Mbamba, Metraclima Mbweca & Chewere, and the Tropheops Elongatus Boadzulu are some of my favorite Mbuna's. Just wait til you really start to get into it and you're opened up to all the possibilities. If you ask me though, when it comes to African's the Tanganyikan's are king.

Haha, you're literally speaking a different language there.
I can't wait to get into it ?

Not really, the effect of carbon isn't that big of deal in an established tank, like I said I replace mine every 2-3 months and don't have any trouble.
Purigen is a good media it removes ammonia, nitrites, and best of all nitrates.
When I started using Purigen, my Nitrates stayed a lot lower in between water changes.
I generally try to keep mine under 20ppm, since I added Purigen, on the same water change schedule, they've been under 10ppm.

So I've added 13 community fish to help the filter along (not too sure how this works but I may as well try).

Just a mix of Guppies, Platies ect..

I have no room for any spare tanks to keep this lot so, if I'm honest, I can't say I care for their lives much.

That's the way to do it.

Google "new tank syndrome"

Or "fish in cycling"

That will help you understand the process.

Purigen and Matrix but they won't remove a lot of the stuff that the carbon does. I don't use carbon in most of my tanks at this point. There really is no need for it.

I've just been out to pick up some stuff for the tank..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400409722.889653.jpg

Carbon was 3 bags for £8.50.. Is this good value?

Sounds like a good deal to me. My Fluval 3 pack of carbon for my Aquaclear is like $11 USD.

It's good you got some test strips, but to give you a page out of my failure book, strips aren't really reliable: don't get me wrong, they will give you a good general idea of water quality, but don't give you the precise accurate readings that you want.

The API freshwater master test kit is a must. It is more $ then strips, but is actually cheaper in the long run because it lasts much much longer.

It was suggested to me, but I was "happy" with strips, so I didn't get it for a year. One day it was on sale, so I picked it up, and now I don't know what I was thinking. Easy, accurate, and absolutely NO guesswork. Your not trying to decipher what "shade" of pink or whatever the test is showing, it gives clear readings across a spectrum.

API freshwater master test kit.
Highly recommend.

Love Hikari foods. I would also recommend New Life Spectrum (arguably the best Cichlid food) and Cobalt brand with Pro-biotics.

Love Hikari foods. I would also recommend New Life Spectrum (arguably the best Cichlid food) and Cobalt brand with Pro-biotics.

I did search specifically for the word Spirinula (or something) and just picked up the carnivore one just in case I add Peacocks or Haps eventually.

Oh and the tests are liquid, not strips.. The master kit wasn't in stock so I just improvised ?

Yes NLS is great food and Cobalt is good for the mentioned use of Probiotics but quality, NLS is one of the best foods you'll find.

I did search specifically for the word Spirinula (or something) and just picked up the carnivore one just in case I add Peacocks or Haps eventually.

Oh and the tests are liquid, not strips.. The master kit wasn't in stock so I just improvised ?

Ah ha, that makes sense.

It's so refreshing to see this coming together.
I feel like I try to help as many people as I can.
Rarely is someone so squared away.
Looking good!

First time I've set up a tank asking for this much help, must admit, I'm surprised so many people came through.

Thanks guys ???

I have the two sponge filters in the corners. I use them in my breeders when I need them. I have a 24 watt UV sterilizer. My HOB's are a Fluval Aquclear 70 and the Marineland Penguin 200.

I have the two sponge filters in the corners. I use them in my breeders when I need them. I have a 24 watt UV sterilizer. My HOB's are a Fluval Aquclear 70 and the Marineland Penguin 200.

Well the only thing I'm slightly worried about is filtration, I have a Fluval 306 on a 240l tank and if that ends up not being enough, I'll just get an FX6.

Should be ok, my tank is way overkill. You can't really have too much filtration as long as the flow rate isn't crazy.
I have mine so filtered because if one system fails I'm covered, it keeps the water cleaner, and I don't need to worry about crazy mini cycles happening. I keep the sponge filters going so they are ready to go if I need to use my QT or breeder.

Back
Top Bottom