African Cichlid Newbie Need Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just be careful, I know I've beat this pretty hard already, but Nitrites can be brutal.

I'm with squirrilah, it never hurts to have a sponge filter or two ready to go for QT or any number of other reasons. I've got at least 2 sponge filters sitting ready and waiting at all times cause you never know when you need to separate fish.

I'm with squirrilah, it never hurts to have a sponge filter or two ready to go for QT or any number of other reasons. I've got at least 2 sponge filters sitting ready and waiting at all times cause you never know when you need to separate fish.

If only it was that easy..

I'll just stick with the 306 for a few months and end up getting an FX6 to team with it.

That monster just about fits in the cabinet...

AAAAAAAAND AFTER 2 WEEKS AND 6 DAYS, THE TANK IS DONE!

Ammonia - 0

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - 5

PH - 7.6

HAPPY DAYS

Well I'm having a new issue if anyone's sill hanging about in this thread..

I did get my first 6 Mbunas:
3 Yellow Labs
3 Yellow Tail Acei

5 of them are doing fine but one Acei hurt it's fin (either on a rock or in a fight).

I did treat the tank with Aquarium Salt and Stress Coat and the fish is swimming about a bit, although it is getting picked on a bit.

Anyways... The Acei now has a white patch on it's damaged fin side and I'm not too sure what's going on.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402074222.473119.jpg

As you can see, it has spread quite a way.

Any help is massively appreciated.

That is pretty normal. The only danger to the fish is stress, being killed, or having worse damage. I have a Red shoulder who is tore up just like that right now.
If you have a hospital tank, that would be good. But when you re introduce the fish it could happen again.
Generally once the fish has taken the beating they back off, unless they really want it dead.
It's pretty normal for new adds to get picked on the first two-three days.

I would treat the tank with Melafix, it helps regrow damages tissue faster. And prevents secondary infections. Prima fix is also a good add, if you start seeing signs of fungus.

Next maintain clean perfect water. And hope for the best.

That is pretty normal. The only danger to the fish is stress, being killed, or having worse damage. I have a Red shoulder who is tore up just like that right now.
If you have a hospital tank, that would be good. But when you re introduce the fish it could happen again.
Generally once the fish has taken the beating they back off, unless they really want it dead.
It's pretty normal for new adds to get picked on the first two-three days.

I would treat the tank with Melafix, it helps regrow damages tissue faster. And prevents secondary infections. Prima fix is also a good add, if you start seeing signs of fungus.

Next maintain clean perfect water. And hope for the best.

Well I don't have a hospital tank but they seem to have calmed down a bit now.

I just ordered some Melafix and I'll do a clean up tomorrow.

Does this happen often with Mbuna?

I think it depends on the mbuna's personality, but it can happen frequently. You may consider investing in a hospital tank in case it happens more often. I've had one issue in the last few months that I've had mbuna.

I think it depends on the mbuna's personality, but it can happen frequently. You may consider investing in a hospital tank in case it happens more often. I've had one issue in the last few months that I've had mbuna.

I do still have my first tank which is a 8G with a tiny HOB filter.

I'll consider setting it back up if things get desperate but I have no plans with it right now.

I completely understand. I actually don't have a real hospital tank either.. My only other tank I have set up that would be my hospital tank should something happen, houses a few other fish.. It would be a pain. But you have an extra tank handy in case they get out of hand, so that's good! :)

I do still have my first tank which is a 8G with a tiny HOB filter.

I'll consider setting it back up if things get desperate but I have no plans with it right now.

That would work if you needed it. I keep a ten gallon up and running 24/7. I use it mostly as a QT. But also a hospital tank.

I put one of my peacocks in there recently because someone really jacked him up. His eyes where cloudy, he had the pealed off scales like yours, and his jaw was flapping in the wind. When I saw it he was just spiraling in the current, going upside down etc. if I didn't have the hospital tank he'd be dead.
He's looking better now, probably will go back in gen pop (lol) on Sunday.

Well.. The fish died..

It has been absolutely destroyed one both sides.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402136339.137424.jpg

I'll ring up the shop and see if they'll refund me but after a week it's doubtful.

Update No. 572

I've decided to set up the 9G hospital, while I've managed to persuade my parents to allow me to set it up, they haven't allowed me to bring it indoors.

Our garage is far from insulated but the tank is in between a fridge and a freezer so it might not get too cold.

Are there any major problems with keeping a tank outside?

You might find it difficult to maintain a temperature with it outside. Especially in the winter months..

Well it's staying at around 26 deg C, although it is summer and I'm in the UK...

Chances are it'll be snowing or something by tonight..

Oh and it does have a heater.

Back
Top Bottom