African Clawed Frog...swollen upper legs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mschaffer66

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So today I noticed that one of our remaining frogs has what almost look like blisters on his upper hind legs. I'm not sure if this is something bad, or him shedding his skin.

We have had some fish issues recently with this tank:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/help-cloudy-water-death-sadness-178849.html

I had thought maybe this was the Red Leg thing after doing some quick reading, but his lower legs are fine though.

Help?

Thanks

Here is a picture the best I could get:
img_1648290_0_f0cf8d82673de450ae3addad571dd5de.jpg

img_1648290_1_ca3b857bf899e0fdd0bb5cf7db092829.jpg

Here is a quick video. I'm not sure if its very informative or not...

You're doing awesome!! :D I'd check the levels first before doing a water change; it'll not only tell you if you have to do one but how large and/or how many depending on levels. Hopefully the mini cycle won't last too long.

I don't have any experience with frogs unfortunately. You may want to post on the Amphibian section and ask there. Good luck.

I'm sorry to say..that's red leg. It's just got to be. There is nothing else that will make an aquatic frog look like that, that I have ever seen. It's really contagious and fatal. You may be able to treat it if you seek help from a vet right away. Hows the frog looking today? Any change?
You can try to do a round of tetracycline and salt treatment depending on how far it has advanced. If the frog still looks like it does in that picture, that's what I would do. It's really painful on the frogs so if it's progressing now and you are unable or wish not to seek the help of a vet, I would recommend you euthanize. :( I'm so sorry.

That's what we originally had thought. But after doing a lot of reading and looking at pictures I think its some kind of bloat. We have started to treat him with the aquarium salt and the swelling appears to be going down. Other than the fact that his legs are swollen he has zero other symptoms of red leg... There's no redness, no sores, no skin rotting, he's not lethargic...just kinda chunky thighs...

When we first started it did appear like his body was swollen a bit and that has actually gone down too. He seems to have more definition in his body than before.

Its hard to say because the conditions that cause both are quite the same and fit how bad off that aquarium was. The other 3 frogs also don't have any signs of any issues either.

We are cautiously optimistic. :(

OK that's great news. I'm glad to hear it hasn't gotten any worse. If it were red leg, I would highly doubt you would see improvement from salt treatment alone. I've never seen other bloating conditions start in the legs like that, but anything's possible. It does seem like if it were red leg, some red coloration would be showing by now. Keep me posted I hope it improves! :)

Back
Top Bottom