African Knife Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know, but don't they get really huge? Make sure you have the tank space that is needed. :wink:

The african variety get to about 9". I repeatedly was recommended them in favor of the larger BGK, when I was looking into that.

No. I meant the African Knife Fish/Brown Knife Fish. Not the friggin' huge clown version. Didn't realize the clown knifes also went by that name... Common names suck.

Oh, ok. I didn't realize there was another kind. :p The one you want sounds really cool since it stays small.

I would think it would eat whatever it could fit in its mouth. I bet fish like larger tetras and barbs, etc. would be ok, but not small ones like neons and such.

I am not sure I have what you are referring to but it was called an African Knife fish--has 2 wisker like 'jobbys' by it's mouth-not defined tail but narrows at the tail end. Kinda of a interesting fish!! Mine is in with serpa tetras, neon tetras, & white fins tetras. Nobody disappeared yet. Plus the knife fish does not like the disc-shaped Tetra-Min food--he prefers the flake type.

Mine is kinda brownish black & yes looks like a knife blade. It does not look like the website fish previously posted

Do you have a website with a picture of the fish you are refering to?

yes, knifefish totally eat small fish. knife fish are not community fish--they are predatory, especially when full grown. they africans may be smaller but if you put them in with your danios, your danios will eventually be lunch! check out http://www.fishbase.org.

The fish you're referring to is the African Brown Knife Fish (Xenomystus nigri). The Clown Knife (Chitala ornata) is an Asian fish and does get pretty bit, though there is an African knife fish called the African Featherfin Knife (Papyrocranus afer) that reaches about the same length as the Clown Knife.

Xenomystus nigri is predatory and will take small fish if it can swallow them whole.

-Joe

Here's a picture of X. nigri:

xenomystus1a.jpg

And this is Papyrocranus afer:

Pafer1sm.jpg

Yes.....a fully grown Xenomystus nigri wouldn't have much trouble nailing an appropriately-sized danio. The Knife Fish is just as fast a swimmer as a danio when it wants to be and, being generally nocturnal, they could easily make the danio disappear when the tank lights are out.

-Joe

Ah. Makes sense, I suppose. The night-time thing didn't occur to me, it's nearly impossible to picture a danio actually NOT moving. :p

One other thing... What about cories? Would they eat those? And I don't think anyone mentioned the tiger barbs.

Back
Top Bottom