african/lobster breeding question (same question, looking for thorough or def answer)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronnieroach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok so short and sweet, i have an electric blue lobster in my african tank. i have a few females among my males and really want them to breed (even though i'm not taking any real breeding steps, i'm just hoping nature takes its course).

WILL MY LOBSTER DEFFFFINITELY EAT THE EGGS BEFORE THEY CAN BE FERTILIZED??

i am willing to get rid of him to help the chances of them successfully breeding, even though my girlfriend will be really mad lol

i've researched them a bit but havent really found more than a yes/no answer.

if anyone has experience w/ this, any and all info would be greatly appreciated :D

grazi friends :fish2:

Doubt your going to get a thorough or definite answer because truth to tell there probably isn't one definite answer.

Your Blue Lobster is really just a freshwater crayfish, not a lobster at all. Like all other crayfish, its an opportunistic feeder who will both scavange and catch live food, as well as consume both plant and animal matter. Will he eat fish eggs? Absolutely, will he eat your African's eggs before they can be fertilized and picked up, I'd say less likely, but still a possibility. The male African will pretty aggressively defend his breeding rock and is not likely to allow the lobster to be in the area when breeding is likely to occur. However, once the male gets busy, he's not likely to be watching out for the lobster and it may move in to take advantage of the free food source. Likelyhood that he would get them all unless the parents abandoned the breeding rock in the middle of the process is pretty slim, but it could happen.

I don't know that that really helps you, but maybe it will. If not maybe somebody else can give you a more definitive answer.

renegade, thank you so much! i appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me. from what you've told me, i think i'll rehome Rocky to one of my friends' tanks just to make breeding easier if it does happen.

& just so you dont continue to think i'm a supreme newb, i know the electric blue is a crayfish, i just like using E.B. Lobster cuz it sounds cooler lol :D

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Attachments

• image-3433860947.jpg
    image-3433860947.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 92
renegade, thank you so much! i appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me. from what you've told me, i think i'll rehome Rocky to one of my friends' tanks just to make breeding easier if it does happen.

& just so you dont continue to think i'm a supreme newb, i know the electric blue is a crayfish, i just like using E.B. Lobster cuz it sounds cooler lol :D

THANKS AGAIN!!!

No problem, glad I could help. Electric Blue Lobster is indeed way cooler than "Crawdad" or "Crayfish", so I don't blame you a bit.

i decided to just keep him after alllll my questions haha.. i figure my 1, maybe 2 females are in a tank w/ 10 males so they prooooobably wont have surviving offspring anyway but who knows.. maybe the eggs will be in a nice spot & the lil cichys will survive both the LOBSTER lol & their 10 dads :D

either way, Rock Lobster aka Rocky is gonna be kickin it with me til he kicks the bucket lol

Back
Top Bottom