Aggresive Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiscash

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all! I just today purchased a few Glowlight Tetras to give my Halfmoon Betta some tankmates.

Unfortunately, my Betta has pretty much been chasing them around the tank with his gills flared since I put them in. In fact, he already nipped off the top part of one of the Tetra's tail fin. :(

I am curious to know if this will get better because he is just not used to having tankmates? I am really worried about the Tetras though. I have the option of moving them to my cory tank and have been considering that.

Any advice/suggestions?

How big of a tank?

Generally Bettas are hit-and-miss when it comes to fish compatibility. As seen already yours is aggressive. See if it will ever die down. If not I would try re-arranging the tank or add hiding places, but if all else fails, move the tetras out.

Agreed on rearranging the tank. You should remove the betta, move everything around and then reintroduce him. This may work.

But, from the sounds of it, you may just have a solitary betta.

It is a 10g tank with a good amount of live plants.

Anyway, I just tried taking him out, moving a few things around, and putting him back in. He was actually pretty fine until one of the Tetras came close to him, and then he started chasing them around again.

I suppose I will just move them to my cory tank. No big deal.

Thanks for the advice though. :)

Bettas definetlly is a solitary fish. But i would say twot things. First they get bored.after a while. I would say after a while it will not flare or chase yr glow fish any more. Well.may be a flare.or two and it will look the other way. Second issue that there would be a huge speed and manouvering differences between yr halfmoon and glow fish. It wont be able to get hold to.any glow fish except by surprise. The nippinh episode that u had wont happen that frequent in my mind. If i were.u and.the tank is planted.... I woild give them time and i wouldnt rehome.anyone

Back
Top Bottom