Aggressive clown fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I got a pair of clown fish cause this lady was getting rid of here tank. Took them home acclimated all went well. I waited about a month to let them settle in and decided it was about time for some new tank mates.

I bought a royal gramma and a purple fire fish. The fire fish died for reasons unknown. So I got another fire fish today a regular one.

This s

Sorry phone...

This same day I find my gramma struggling In a rock I pull it out and it's tail is missing! I look at the new fire fish and he has a piece of tail missing also. The only other fish I have I the tank is a blue spot goby, other than the two clowns. Could this be a way of them telling me they don't want tank mates?

I'm pretty bummed.

No clowns really shouldnt be that agressive, but it does happen. Thats what happens when you buy a pair that has been a pair for a while, generally they are the only fish in the tank and then once noobs come in they get crazy. My advice is to trade them at your lfs for 1 large occy clown and 1 small occy clown. They are less agressive and wont fight if there is a big size differance. Good luck!!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
No clowns really shouldnt be that agressive, but it does happen. Thats what happens when you buy a pair that has been a pair for a while, generally they are the only fish in the tank and then once noobs come in they get crazy. My advice is to trade them at your lfs for 1 large occy clown and 1 small occy clown. They are less agressive and wont fight if there is a big size differance. Good luck!!

Yeah I'm pretty sad I really like these guys. I'm probably just going to take the fire fish and keep these clowns and use the trade in money to start out my reef.

My stock would just be

2x clowns
1x goby
1x pistol aheim

Nu-Nu the eel said:
But the clowns will keep picking on your fish....

I won't have any fish. And I won't add any fish the goby came with the clowns so they don't mess with him. :(

Okay thats fine. I would personally get rid of the clowns and have as many fish as i could

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Okay thats fine. I would personally get rid of the clowns and have as many fish as i could

I know but I grew attached to these little buggers. My first SW fish ;) thanks for the input Nunu.

Back
Top Bottom