Aggressive Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two opaline gouramis but one is most certainly dominant and the other unfortunately gets bullied to the point that she's had chunks taken out of her tail and dorsal fins. (This happened overnight). In a bit of a dilemma now. Do I return one? Do I return the bully or the bullied? I also have two golden gouramis who are peacefully living alongside the opalines. If I removed the bullied fish (Ethel), would bully (Doris) turn on the goldens? If I return Doris, would Ethel decide to become a bully? Suppose it's impossible to know, but has anyone any experience and a suitable solution?

Are you sure they are both females? You could have two males and they could be fighting for dominance... I would probably return the aggressive one if it were me.

Have heard in the past, ppl at lfs saying the opaline ones are commonly aggressive, have never keep them so don't know for experience.

What would I do? Take both of them back. But that's just me, and I like a relatively peaceful community tank.

I'd be heartbroken to return either of them let alone both. Males have pointed dorsal and ventral fins don't they? Mine both have rounded fins hence assuming they are female. In any case, it seems they can't live happily with each other. :(

I'd be heartbroken to return either of them let alone both. Males have pointed dorsal and ventral fins don't they? Mine both have rounded fins hence assuming they are female. In any case, it seems they can't live happily with each other. :(

Why?

Get something else that will be peaceful.

Wouldn't it be better for the fish to be back at the lfs in a tank with 10+ and no aggression? Rather then 2 beating the snot out of one another?

Of course! I know that! I'd be far happier overall to know that they are happy! Just saying I've grown attached to them, they are absolutely stunning, that's all! :)

Here's a twist: if you return either one of the opalines, the golden may begin picking on the other golden. Right now they're at peace with each other because the more aggressive opalines are making them feel threatened. Take that out of the equation and one of the goldens may start "flexing its muscles."

David

Yup you are correct. Only, observing this evening has led me to think it was actually the Gold who did the nipping. The opaline chases the other opaline continuously, but never goes for the Golds. Tonight I observed brutal behaviour from the gold who chased the other gold, both opalines, the platies, and anything that happened to get in its line of sight. I've decided if by some miracle things haven't settled by the weekend then all four gouramis are going back to the shop and ill be one the look out for some new 'feature' fish.

Back
Top Bottom