aggressive platties?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcarlilesiu

Aquarium Advice Addict
I set up a 5 gallon nano on my desk at work, and just completed my cycle using two female sunburst platties. 1 is pregnant from the store (didnt know that when i got them). The other platty is constantly chasing her around harrassing her. Right now there isn't a whole lot of cover for her, other than a clump of microsword that is spreading out and will eventually cover the bottom of the tank.

Has anybody ever heard of this before? I really don't want her getting nipped anymore, and I can transfer them both to my home tank 56 gallon with the other male sunburst and then get another fish for this tank if that will keep her from chasing the other one around. Any advise?

Is the one nipping the other? I would have guessed one is male and one is female and the male is chasing your female. Sounds more like male/female behaviour. If they are both indeed females then it is aggression.
They need to be separated or the one can be harrassed to the point of death.

ya, i agree 100%. Males will chase them to an extent, but if its 2 females, and that little space, the tougher one will prolly dominate. i'd move em if you got the extra tank already.

Back
Top Bottom