Ah so thats where my snails have been hiding...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrzap

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've been noticing some of my plants have been getting severely munched on, but I have 6 loaches in my tank and have not witnessed a snail in a month or more so I couldn't figure out who would be doing it. I thought maybe my algae eaters weren't getting enough algae and they were doing it.

Backstory: Lately I had been having to change out my water more frequently because I can't seem to keep my nitrates down although nitrite and ammonia are extremely low.

I thought I read on here that canister filters tend to lead to high nitrates if they aren't cleaned regularly. So I figured I was due. I had not cleaned it in 3 months.

I took it apart and there were snails everywhere! I suspect there are even more in the tubes, but it was like a baby snail frenzy. I suppose it makes sense with all the dead leaves that get sucked into the canister. They must love eating it.

So I gave my canister a good cleaning. It was pretty gross. Brown sludge in my bio rings (bleh). I dumped out the water in it and good size black worm wriggled away and I am like ok thats pretty nasty I hope he isn't the parasitic kind. In any case, my fish should be nice and happy. I hope this helps me get nitrates in check.

I hope nobody read that while eating. Have a nice weekend everyone.

Good job investigating your problem and finding the cause. I had a similar issue awhile back. I hadn't cleaned the filter in about two months. When I finally got around to it, I had a planet of snails stuck in between the intake the pads. Most of them had died (lack of nutrition I would guess).

A suggestion for keeping stray plant matter and the occassional snail from entering your filters is the use of a pre-filter on the intake tube. Large particle matter cannot get through and you just remove the accumulated mass whenever it gets stuck there.

Back
Top Bottom