Algae eater options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
30 gallon tank. 2 options. 1 would have rams and angelfish in it. The other will be neon tetras, danios, mollies perhaps. I was thinking snail, but I can't handle my tank being overrun with snails. Suggestions for snails that don't overly reproduce? Or small algae eaters?

Nerite snails are excellent algae eaters as long as you have hard water and they won't multiply

If your water is softer consider otocinclus or a bristlenose pleco

Nerite snails are excellent algae eaters as long as you have hard water and they won't multiply

If your water is softer consider otocinclus or a bristlenose pleco

Have you had them multiply in soft water? Everything I've read said the eggs need brackish water to reproduce.

Sent from my iPhone

Do otos do ok solo?
I have never had a problem with a single individual. That being said, they are pretty tiny. I would put 3-6 in a 30 gallon tank.

Have you had them multiply in soft water? Everything I've read said the eggs need brackish water to reproduce.

Sent from my iPhone
No, in soft water they die because their shells erode. Most snails need at least some hardness. Except the nuisance snails. They are like cockroaches.

No, in soft water they die because their shells erode. Most snails need at least some hardness. Except the nuisance snails. They are like cockroaches.

I misunderstood your post I'm sorry. I thought you meant they wouldn't reproduce, as long as your water isn't soft.

Op, I have 14 ish ottos and they are happy in a school. 3-5 minimum. If you run out of stuff for them to eat, they LOVE zucchini.

Sent from my iPhone

Back
Top Bottom