Algae identification and advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So next water change as I can't do anything about it now, am I still adding 3/4 tablespoon equilibrium and 10 ml thrive, I still have a half bottle of thrive and I don't want to throw it away, I'll order the dry and the scale but want to finish out the liquid? I looked up thrive low light weekly and it says about 4 ml which is less that what I was dosing

That is because it is calculating for Fe, and is assuming NO3 and PO4 additions from fish.

PPS-Pro daily dose is the same as EI light.... For some reason with thrive.

I would do 3 x weekly 4mL that will get you close to 10ppm NO3 weekly amount dosed. For now anyway.

How long are your lights on for?

That is because it is calculating for Fe, and is assuming NO3 and PO4 additions from fish.

PPS-Pro daily dose is the same as EI light.... For some reason with thrive.

I would do 3 x weekly 4mL that will get you close to 10ppm NO3 weekly amount dosed. For now anyway.

How long are your lights on for?
Okay I just been doing 10 ml on water Change day I guess that's what you meant when you said front loading macros, meaning just dumping the 3x weekly amount in at once and just dosing fe every day? What about the equilibrium am I still adding 3/4 tablespoon? Lights are on 6 hours a day, this does not include the 1 hour ramp in and 1 hour ramp out

Okay I just been doing 10 ml on water Change day I guess that's what you meant when you said front loading macros, meaning just dumping the 3x weekly amount in at once and just dosing fe every day? What about the equilibrium am I still adding 3/4 tablespoon? Lights are on 6 hours a day, this does not include the 1 hour ramp in and 1 hour ramp out

Yes, macros and gH booster all upfront (if using dry for macros, doesn't matter the gH booster source).

Front load:
NO3
PO4
K
Ca
Mg

Micros are usually broken up throughout the week.

I looked at Thrive's directions, and it is based off of EI methods. So the 4mL dose RotalaButterfly it telling us to do should be dose 2-4 times weekly as per EI recommendations.

Yes, macros and gH booster all upfront (if using dry for macros, doesn't matter the gH booster source).

Front load:
NO3
PO4
K
Ca
Mg

Micros are usually broken up throughout the week.

I looked at Thrive's directions, and it is based off of EI methods. So the 4mL dose RotalaButterfly it telling us to do should be dose 2-4 times weekly as per EI recommendations.
Okay so instead of doing 10 ml off the bat, do 4 ml 3x weekly, like m-Wed-Fri water change on Monday, and am I still dosing 3/4 tablespoon of equilibrium

Okay so instead of doing 10 ml off the bat, do 4 ml 3x weekly, like m-Wed-Fri water change on Monday, and am I still dosing 3/4 tablespoon of equilibrium

Yes. So if you are doing a WC on Mondays:

Mon:
Equilibrium - Dissolve into new water during WC.

Tues:
4mL Thrive

Thur:
4mL Thrive

Sat:
4mL Thrive

If you want to do 4 doses that works too.

Monday after a WC, tues, thur, sat.

Yes. So if you are doing a WC on Mondays:

Mon:
Equilibrium - Dissolve into new water during WC.

Tues:
4mL Thrive

Thur:
4mL Thrive

Sat:
4mL Thrive

If you want to do 4 doses that works too.

Monday after a WC, tues, thur, sat.
But how much equilibrium, the new dosage or the 3/4 tablespoon, you calculated 3/4 once per week would sustain my water at 2 degrees higher, but with the low light ei dosage is way lower.

So Monday: pwc/equilibrium
Tuesday 4 ml thrive
Wed sleep all day
Thursday thrive
Friday enjoy tank all day
Sat thrive
repeat on Monday

But how much equilibrium, the new dosage or the 3/4 tablespoon, you calculated 3/4 once per week would sustain my water at 2 degrees higher, but with the low light ei dosage is way lower.

So Monday: pwc/equilibrium
Tuesday 4 ml thrive
Wed sleep all day
Thursday thrive
Friday enjoy tank all day
Sat thrive
repeat on Monday

Yes that looks good. If you feel like more ferts, add a Thrive dose right after your WC Monday. Do not be afraid to load up on root tabs for good measure. I've never seen root tabs hurting anything.

Equilibrium - 45 gallons x 50% = 22.5 gallons. To raise gH by 2 degrees into 22.5 gallons of new water you will need 0.7 tablespoons. So go with 3/4 (0.75) tablespoons for good measure.

Standard EI calls for 2 degrees of gH increase. Using Equilibrium will also supply more than enough K, so no need for K2SO4 when you go with dry ferts.

For when you go dry these products are needed:

KNO3
KH2PO4
CSM+B
DTPA e 11%
CSM+B
Equilibrium

If you want to DIY you gH booster instead of Equilibrium you will need:

CaSO4
MgSO4
K2SO4

Yes that looks good. If you feel like more ferts, add a Thrive dose right after your WC Monday. Do not be afraid to load up on root tabs for good measure. I've never seen root tabs hurting anything.

Equilibrium - 45 gallons x 50% = 22.5 gallons. To raise gH by 2 degrees into 22.5 gallons of new water you will need 0.7 tablespoons. So go with 3/4 (0.75) tablespoons for good measure.

Standard EI calls for 2 degrees of gH increase. Using Equilibrium will also supply more than enough K, so no need for K2SO4 when you go with dry ferts.

For when you go dry these products are needed:

KNO3
KH2PO4
CSM+B
DTPA e 11%
CSM+B
Equilibrium

If you want to DIY you gH booster instead of Equilibrium you will need:

CaSO4
MgSO4
K2SO4
Think I'll stick with equilibrium lol too much measuring already, I'll get those 3 when the bran new container of equilibrium is gone.

So stick with 3/4 tablespoon equilibrium until I get dry then switch to 24 grams?

Think I'll stick with equilibrium lol too much measuring already, I'll get those 3 when the bran new container of equilibrium is gone.

So stick with 3/4 tablespoon equilibrium until I get dry then switch to 24 grams?

Nothing wrong with Equilibrium. Only Cheaper to go DIY.

24 grams Equilibrium = 3/4 tablespoons according to Seachem's website.

For dry, into 22.5 gallons, you would need:

CaSO4 x 3.15g = 1.5 degrees gH / 11ppm Ca
MgSO4 x 1.94g = 0.5 degrees gH / 2.25ppm Mg
K2SO4 x 1.9g = 10ppm K (EI light dosing)

Nothing wrong with Equilibrium. Only Cheaper to go DIY.

24 grams Equilibrium = 3/4 tablespoons according to Seachem's website.

For dry, into 22.5 gallons, you would need:

CaSO4 x 3.15g = 1.5 degrees gH / 11ppm Ca
MgSO4 x 1.94g = 0.5 degrees gH / 2.25ppm Mg
K2SO4 x 1.9g = 10ppm K (EI light dosing)
Yeah that's what confused me, 4 grams of sugar is 1 teaspoon so I was over here like how is 24 grams of equilibrium less than 1/32 of a teaspoon [emoji848]
Yeah I literally have only taken out 1 1/2 tblspoons from the big jar of equilibrium so I will use that up first it was quite expensive

Yeah that's what confused me, 4 grams of sugar is 1 teaspoon so I was over here like how is 24 grams of equilibrium less than 1/32 of a teaspoon [emoji848]
Yeah I literally have only taken out 1 1/2 tblspoons from the big jar of equilibrium so I will use that up first it was quite expensive

Exactly why I said to get a scale instead of measuring spoons...

Weight can't lie.

1 Teapsoon of Lead = 55.9 grams
1 Teaspoon of K2SO4 = 11.4 grams

So comparing 2 products volumetrically does not work... But comparing weights can be comparable.

Exactly why I said to get a scale instead of measuring spoons...

Weight can't lie.

1 Teapsoon of Lead = 55.9 grams
1 Teaspoon of K2SO4 = 11.4 grams

So comparing 2 products volumetrically does not work... But comparing weights can be comparable.
Oh I know, but does sugar weigh more than equilibrium [emoji848], even if it does 24 grams is more than 1/32 of a teaspoon which means rotala is wrong in its teaspoon measurements .

Positive note, I went down to feed the fish and the clippings of the pearl weed i planted 2 days ago that were almost fully buried, are 1/4" above the substrate sticking straight up like hayyyyy there's light [emoji23]

Oh I know, but does sugar weigh more than equilibrium [emoji848], even if it does 24 grams is more than 1/32 of a teaspoon which means rotala is wrong in its teaspoon measurements .

Positive note, I went down to feed the fish and the clippings of the pearl weed i planted 2 days ago that were almost fully buried, are 1/4" above the substrate sticking straight up like hayyyyy there's light [emoji23]

oops...

t01wFLj.jpg

my bad. 24 grams into 45 gals = 2 degrees.

edjkOOu.jpg

cut that into 22.5 gals and you'll need 12 grams.

nHPfYZu.jpg

Hahaha okay, that's what you want then lol

We were talking about the same thing, just on different pages ;)
Lol don't do this to me lol, I'm already confused enough [emoji23][emoji23] jk ha ha

Everything just keeps getting worse so I'm going to just cut my losses and give up the hobby, appreciate the help but I'm done fighting with this pos, plants melting again, staghorn out of control, hair out of control and I honestly just can't do it anymore, thanks again folks.

Back
Top Bottom