Algae. Unsightly and healthy?? Idk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I am doing a bit of experimentation with my ten gallon. I've let the algae grow out of control. However I've left my tank filter off for a couple weeks just to see if they could survive.

Not only only do the fish appear healthy but they look happy too!

I'm not too sure if algae is a sign of be but it seems like the fish are thriving in it

This sounds a bit cruel in my opinion and I have a feeling you might get some angry comments soon.. Just because fish are alive does not mean they are happy or healthy. Without your filter, the oxygen content in your water is likely very low and not good for your fish.

I realize that. But it's just an experiment. I actually cleaned out the tank today.

An experiment at the expense of an animal's health. The problem is not the algae, but the fact that you left the filter off for weeks.

You should at very least agitate the water surface to add O2. Are you running a power head or bubbler? Also you really should check you water for Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites.

Was the tank cycled before? I imagine this non-filtration is going to catch up to you.

R

Cool if you're going to continue the experiment be vigilant of you water parameters. I also don't think your filter would slow down the Algae and it will keep you fish safer. Is you light on a timer? Maybe add an hour or two but the fish need dark time too.

R

No idea of health here but watching some nature shows this past week there looked to be a form of algae in the waters the crocs or alligators were swimming in. It made me think back to days when I was young and the waters I would play in and look for frogs/toads and thinking they probably had algae too.
But leaving the filter off seems odd.

The algae it's self it's bad for fish at all. It's the fact that usually algae comes from high levels of toxins that are harmful to fish. And just because they look happy to you doesn't mean you aren't ruining there immune systems, and causing them long term damage. You could leave a tank in direct sunlight with great filtration and it's going to have algae.

Back in the days of yore in fish keeping there wasn't any filtration or water movement at all in tanks. Their fish were able to stay healthy but the tank stocking had to be really small. (This is where the inch per gallon rule originated) Oxygen will still diffuse in the water even if there's no water movement. The fish will let you know that theres not enough oxygen in the water by gasping at the surface for the oxygen rich layer qt the very top.

I would be more worried about ammonia / nitrites. How are your parameters looking? If you aren't having spikes in either of those then I would imagine you are okay.

I have womdered cor a while if algae was healthy. Afterall it eats the bad stuff. You should leave an airstone on at least to oxygenate and move water but you could try algae as a biological filter.

I have womdered cor a while if algae was healthy. Afterall it eats the bad stuff. You should leave an airstone on at least to oxygenate and move water but you could try algae as a biological filter.

Algae is very healthy, it's just ugly. Check out designs for an algae scrubber. They are common for saltwater tanks but they work equally as well for fresh.

My concern first and foremost is the welfare of the fish, the water must have high ammonia and nitrites, can you post some tests please?

Also your BB has likely died off and this will inturn require the tank to be re cycled i'd have thought.

My concern first and foremost is the welfare of the fish, the water must have high ammonia and nitrites, can you post some tests please?

Also your BB has likely died off and this will inturn require the tank to be re cycled i'd have thought.

I agree about the ammonia and trates 100% but I seriously doubt that the BB has died off. it's not nearly as sensitive as a lot of people believe.

I agree about the ammonia and trates 100% but I seriously doubt that the BB has died off. it's not nearly as sensitive as a lot of people believe.

Oh, i was always of the understanding it will die off if not aerated or fed for a relatively short (days) period of time?

Oh, i was always of the understanding it will die off if not aerated or fed for a relatively short (days) period of time?

When it isn't fed it goes into a dormant state and can live for quite a while. It'll eventually die but it could take a month or more. As for the oxygen, it's difficult to create oxygen free water. I can't say for certain whether a lack of oxygen would cause it to die or go dormant however.

For sure this water is full of ammonia, your filters BBs may have died, will take 1 month+ to get the cycle good...

I'll do a massive WC, and never do this again...

It is not for sure the water is full of ammonia., or nitrite or even nitrates. Algae, as already mentioned is a great filter. that fact that it is growing means it is removing nitrogenous waste from the water. As well the BB on all hard surfaces in the tank will grow to use the available ammonia if the algae isn't scavenging it all.
So, there may or may not be any issues with this tank, in spite of all the OPINIONS to the contrary.

It is not for sure the water is full of ammonia., or nitrite or even nitrates. Algae, as already mentioned is a great filter. that fact that it is growing means it is removing nitrogenous waste from the water. As well the BB on all hard surfaces in the tank will grow to use the available ammonia if the algae isn't scavenging it all.
So, there may or may not be any issues with this tank, in spite of all the OPINIONS to the contrary.

1+ agreed

Ok then I mean, For sure, there WAS an ammonia spike so the algae can develop. Algae doesn't develop and absorb all nutrients in the same day...

Just test the water

Back
Top Bottom