Algae. Unsightly and healthy?? Idk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is not for sure the water is full of ammonia., or nitrite or even nitrates. Algae, as already mentioned is a great filter. that fact that it is growing means it is removing nitrogenous waste from the water. As well the BB on all hard surfaces in the tank will grow to use the available ammonia if the algae isn't scavenging it all.
So, there may or may not be any issues with this tank, in spite of all the OPINIONS to the contrary.

I agree as well. I actually intentionally leave the lights on for extended periods
in my 20g heavily planted tank solely for the purpose of allowing algae to develop and flourish. It is filtered but it has a flourishing ecosystem for the purpose of ensuring goldfish fry not only survive but thrive in their first few weeks of life before being moved elsewhere.

Another example is purely an unintentional one. I have a couple of plastic kiddie pools that I use to grow water lettuce/pond plants in the summer. These pools have zero filtration, a TON of algae and do not ever receive water changes (beyond rainfall or occasional topoffs). At the end of the summer, I was cleaning them out and discovered hundreds of healthy sarassa comet fry in addition to zillions of tadpoles. Many goldfish breeders swear by raising certain breeds in still, 'green' ponds in order to facilitate growth and proper development. Not that I am recommending or even suggesting anyone attempt any of this but there is more than meets the eye in these situations so do not be so quick to jump to conclusions or condemnations.

I suspect this tank likely has very low to no toxins present assuming the bioload is very minimal.

Ok then I mean, For sure, there WAS an ammonia spike so the algae can develop. Algae doesn't develop and absorb all nutrients in the same day...

Just test the water
While algae may not develop and absorb all the nutrients in one day, those nutrients aren't all produced at once either. Again, the tank will be full of BB whether the filter is running or not, in an established tank. So, there may or may not have been an ammonia spike; definitely not for sure. You have to stop looking at the filter as if it is separate from the tank. It is an integral part, but not a totally separate unit.
The reality is that an established tank could operate successfully without the filter, with the correct stocking. It is of course, much easier (in some ways) to maintain a tank with a filter, which allows for heavier stocking.

I agree as well. I actually intentionally leave the lights on for extended periods
in my 20g heavily planted tank solely for the purpose of allowing algae to develop and flourish. It is filtered but it has a flourishing ecosystem for the purpose of ensuring goldfish fry not only survive but thrive in their first few weeks of life before being moved elsewhere.

Another example is purely an unintentional one. I have a couple of plastic kiddie pools that I use to grow water lettuce/pond plants in the summer. These pools have zero filtration, a TON of algae and do not ever receive water changes (beyond rainfall or occasional topoffs). At the end of the summer, I was cleaning them out and discovered hundreds of healthy sarassa comet fry in addition to zillions of tadpoles. Many goldfish breeders swear by raising certain breeds in still, 'green' ponds in order to facilitate growth and proper development. Not that I am recommending or even suggesting anyone attempt any of this but there is more than meets the eye in these situations so do not be so quick to jump to conclusions or condemnations.

I suspect this tank likely has very low to no toxins present assuming the bioload is very minimal.

You could have done your test, but I would have monitored ammonia/nitrites/nitrates + phosphates... And I would have stopped the test when ammonia raise.

Then you would have see what really happens here.

You could have done your test, but I would have monitored ammonia/nitrites/nitrates + phosphates... And I would have stopped the test when ammonia raise.

Then you would have see what really happens here.

I am not sure if you are referring to the Op or to myself?

I did not do any 'tests'. I explained how algae is integral to the health of my fry tank and not 'unhealthy'. Mentioning the kiddie pools and what I discovered at the end of the summer was not an 'intentional' experiment or test. Evidently, there were quite a few fertile eggs on the plants I moved out of my pond that I was unaware of yet these fry flourished without the benefit of water changes or filtration or even commercial foods- just algae and plant matter.

Some of you may be familiar with the name Dr Erik Johnson. He is world renowned aquatic vet. He "strenuously" encourages algal growth in tanks for its benefits to fish health. Algae "provides edible phytoplankton for fish to consume...provides for the reduction of nitrate in the environment...raises dissolved oxygen by photosynthesis during the photoperiod... (pg 17, Fancy Goldfish 2001)".

The Op asked if algae was healthy. In my opinion, it is and serves a valuable purpose even if it may not be aesthetically pleasing to most people.

I think the freshwater aquarium wirkd is about to be taken by storm. Apparantly it happened in saltwater abs its coming for us too. People are finally realizing that natural filtration is better than any kind of hob, canister, or any filter as far as biofiltration. How do you think ponds get filtered? God designed these ecosystems to work perfectly without man interfering. Obviously in an enclosed system it isnt going to work quiet as well but we can get pretty close!
People are pioneering new ways to keep fish that require less water changes and no expensive filters. I want to be one of those pioneers. I guarantee you that I can keep 90% of the fish in the hobby just as healthy in a tank with once monthly water changes, live plants, and an hob (or even just a powerhead) as you can in a religiously maintained once weekly water change environment.

I think the freshwater aquarium wirkd is about to be taken by storm. Apparantly it happened in saltwater abs its coming for us too. People are finally realizing that natural filtration is better than any kind of hob, canister, or any filter as far as biofiltration. How do you think ponds get filtered? God designed these ecosystems to work perfectly without man interfering. Obviously in an enclosed system it isnt going to work quiet as well but we can get pretty close!
People are pioneering new ways to keep fish that require less water changes and no expensive filters. I want to be one of those pioneers. I guarantee you that I can keep 90% of the fish in the hobby just as healthy in a tank with once monthly water changes, live plants, and an hob (or even just a powerhead) as you can in a religiously maintained once weekly water change environment.

I'm curious, what filtration method has "taken the saltwater world by storm"?

I'm curious, what filtration method has "taken the saltwater world by storm"?

As I am not a salty guy Im not very knowledgable but to my understanding using live rock to control water quality is relatively new. It used to be about beating your water into submission (thats the way whoever wrote it said it).

As I am not a salty guy Im not very knowledgable but to my understanding using live rock to control water quality is relatively new. It used to be about beating your water into submission (thats the way whoever wrote it said it).

Live rock does nothing to control water quality . It basically is just a place for beneficial bacteria and small inverts to live in . Also to add in the algae discussion it is a powerful tool for nutrient export in the saltwater side. It might not look pretty but it does an amazing job of absorbing nutrients .

Last edited:
Live rock has been used since the 60s, is extremely expensive, and limited in quantities. It's also limited in its effectiveness which necessitates the use of other filtration methods such as a protein skimmer. Deep sand beds can do the same thing as live rock but those have a nasty potential of killing everything in the tank.

Algae scrubbers (back on topic) are quite useful and fairly new however they aren't popular due to the extra equipment needed to run them.

Sorry yall just quoting somebody else and I probably misunderstood something.
I want an algae scrubber now but I dont have a sump...

They are neat but I'm not sure exactly how much nutrient export you will get as I don't run one. There's a diy video by urajoey sp? On making an in tank scrubber.

No worries. Algae scrubbers work in freshwater tanks as long as their are no plants. The plants will get out competed for nutrients . The also make some in tank ones but I have no experience with them. I do use diy scrubbers on my saltwater tanks though .

I have live plants but the algae is currently winning in one of my tanks..... I was considering making my tank a cichlid tank and I imagine the scrubber would keep the algae out of sight and help with nutrient absorbtion.

I am not sure if you are referring to the Op or to myself?

I did not do any 'tests'. I explained how algae is integral to the health of my fry tank and not 'unhealthy'. Mentioning the kiddie pools and what I discovered at the end of the summer was not an 'intentional' experiment or test. Evidently, there were quite a few fertile eggs on the plants I moved out of my pond that I was unaware of yet these fry flourished without the benefit of water changes or filtration or even commercial foods- just algae and plant matter.

Some of you may be familiar with the name Dr Erik Johnson. He is world renowned aquatic vet. He "strenuously" encourages algal growth in tanks for its benefits to fish health. Algae "provides edible phytoplankton for fish to consume...provides for the reduction of nitrate in the environment...raises dissolved oxygen by photosynthesis during the photoperiod... (pg 17, Fancy Goldfish 2001)".

The Op asked if algae was healthy. In my opinion, it is and serves a valuable purpose even if it may not be aesthetically pleasing to most people.

No, I was refering to the author of this post. Algae is very good for aquariums. Green water too. But it's unpleasant for eyes, so people like me remove them...

Well I managed to do a water change. The fish are doing great. I also notice that they pick at the algae growing on the plants and rocks.

Is it possible that they could live off the algae and not be fed in the traditional sense?

Well I managed to do a water change. The fish are doing great. I also notice that they pick at the algae growing on the plants and rocks.

Is it possible that they could live off the algae and not be fed in the traditional sense?

Depends on the species.

There are very very few fish that can live off of algae like that. Oto cats are the only mainstream aquarium fish I know of that can do it.

So I am doing a bit of experimentation with my ten gallon. I've let the algae grow out of control. However I've left my tank filter off for a couple weeks just to see if they could survive. Not only only do the fish appear healthy but they look happy too! I'm not too sure if algae is a sign of be but it seems like the fish are thriving in it

I might have missed it but what fish are you keeping in the experimental 10g?
I'm sure this could work only if you had a couple of very small fish in that tank.

There are very very few fish that can live off of algae like that. Oto cats are the only mainstream aquarium fish I know of that can do it.

This isnt exactly true. Many small fish can lige off algae alone. But they arent always eating the algae but the microorganisms living on it. Small tetras and most shrimp will thrive in a properly setup tank with no feeding.

I would like to note that this experiment is awesome and like I stated before evidence that the hobby is changing. However there are still limitations that I have not seen defeated. For example to my knowledge nobody has done this with sensitive species like german rams or discus. To make the water that pure is difficult. Also no water changes will probably never be possible for fish that hail from fast moving streams (eg hillstream loach) as the water is purer than most other bodies of water due to the constant replacing of water. Then again maybe somebody will figure it out :) I may just try to do this with rams....

Back
Top Bottom