algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rich6459

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the picture I posted with this, there's like whitish see though on the glass of my tank. Is that algae or some thing?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110321_172530.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110321_172530.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 101
If you're talking about all those little whitish specs on the glass, then yes, that is a type of algae. Pretty easy to just wipe it off too, I wouldn't worry about it.

I was under the impression diatoms are more... uhm.... 'dusty'. I don't think they would stick to the glass like that. I think I've seen this stuff before though (I wipe algae at my work for like an hour a day lol). But if it is diatoms it will go away on it's own.

subliminalanarchy said:
I was under the impression diatoms are more... uhm.... 'dusty'. I don't think they would stick to the glass like that. I think I've seen this stuff before though (I wipe algae at my work for like an hour a day lol). But if it is diatoms it will go away on it's own.

Diatoms are an algae and like any other, blooms happen. Not sure what the best remedy is, or that it's even Diatoms.

Here's a link though: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatom

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Diatoms aren't algae, but they're often called brown algae.

The white spots could be the start of green spot algae. I get it on my high-light planted tank and it makes the tank look hazy. The spots could also just be water spots on the outside of the glass. A razor blade will take care of the former and wiping the glass with some white vinegar will take care of the latter.

BigJim said:
Diatoms aren't algae, but they're often called brown algae.

The white spots could be the start of green spot algae. I get it on my high-light planted tank and it makes the tank look hazy. The spots could also just be water spots on the outside of the glass. A razor blade will take care of the former and wiping the glass with some white vinegar will take care of the latter.

Humm... you should go to the link I posted and have wiki correct their mistake. I hate it when bad info is passed around.

Thanks for clearing it up for me bigjim :D.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

I'm not sure if its the start of green algea. I've had spots on my tank for a few days. And still no color change or even growth for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom