Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new to the scene

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm sick of algae coming back I've had the tank going for about 5 months now and my plants don't seem to be making an impact on this problem I'm tired of it already. When it comes back, it does it with a vengeance. I need some help I want this to control it's self. I do have a pleco and 2 snails but they seem uninterested in it most of the time the only worry about the algae on the window HELP!!! I know you can't stop it just want a way to control it

There are several different ways to get rid of algae. You can clean your tank out with a toothbrush every time you see algae, you could add algaefix every 5-6 days, and you can also place your snails on the spots that have a lot of algae.

I hope that helps!

I'm sick of algae coming back I've had the tank going for about 5 months now and my plants don't seem to be making an impact on this problem I'm tired of it already. When it comes back, it does it with a vengeance. I need some help I want this to control it's self. I do have a pleco and 2 snails but they seem uninterested in it most of the time the only worry about the algae on the window HELP!!! I know you can't stop it just want a way to control it

What color algae? Brown or Green? If it's Green is usually the result of overfeeding leading to excess nutrients, inappropriate and or excess lighting.
A blackout of your tank for 2-3 days can help with some green algea.

Brown algae is the result of excess silica which can be common in new tank and or ground tap water

See the link below for info on common tank algae.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

Hi there i had a lil problem with brown algae... All i done was reduced the lighting to 8hrs p/d, cleaned the gravel out with my 25% water change done a bit of cleaning in the tank with a tooth brush( make sure to use ur girlfriend/wife tooth brush as it dont taste too good) haha, and finally i use a phosphate bag in my filter which i change every 4 weeks...
hope this helps...

I have green algae that goes on the gravel and windows and some times my plants I did buy Algefix. Just hoping my snails don't die because of it and I don't like using chemicals unless I really have to because it seems to make my fish dormant.

I've read that too much lighting and no CO2 will cause algae blooms. What lighting do you have? Are you using C02? Tank size?

i have t8x2 65k output i read this to about to much lighting. i have sence turned down my timer to only 6hrs i don't want to go all black out. i have 7 big plants with no co2 at the moment. i did run a diy co2 system but the algae still remained. it's a 37 gal tank by the way and is kinda hard to avoid sunlight its by a window about 1/3 of it is. i know this is a cause of it because it does start in that corner. i don't think it's the main cause of it though. i recently put crushed shells and de-nitrate to help with increasing the ph and controlling the nitrates

That's kind of a bummer about the window, my brother has a constant fight with his where sunlight gets it. I have had good results with siamese algae eaters cleaning plants. Good luck

That's kind of a bummer about the window, my brother has a constant fight with his where sunlight gets it. I have had good results with siamese algae eaters cleaning plants. Good luck

+1 on SAEs. They are one of the best algae eaters you can get.

Well unless you live in a cave your tank is probably going to get some sunlight, but I wouldn't put a tank right next to a window. But besides using the product called algae control I have also found bristle nose plecos and yo yo loaches work fairly well at removing algae. Common plecos do some but not as good as the others I mentioned.

Try otos! although a bit shaky at first, they attack your algae, wherever it is. i just got some and they do great. either way, even with algae eaters, chemicals, and doing everything right, youre still going tohave algae. i just get at it manually. hope this helps!

I have learned not to add algae control products...I tried it once, my fish died.

If it's on the glass, use a Mag-Float. It's cheap, easy, and produces no waste at all.

What kind of pleco and what size tank?

Why spend money on algae scrapers? You can get a 10 pack of dish sponges at the dollar store.

bruinsbro1997 said:
I have learned not to add algae control products...I tried it once, my fish died.

If it's on the glass, use a Mag-Float. It's cheap, easy, and produces no waste at all.

What kind of pleco and what size tank?

What kind of fish died? I've always used it in all my tanks and never had any issues. I swear by that stuff!

Tigroscr said:
What kind of fish died? I've always used it in all my tanks and never had any issues. I swear by that stuff!

Neon tetras...maybe it was just a bad bottle or something. I'm just weary of unnecessary chemicals.

Oscarr19 said:
Why spend money on algae scrapers? You can get a 10 pack of dish sponges at the dollar store.

Dish sponges aren't effective as the algae scrapers

Neon tetras...maybe it was just a bad bottle or something. I'm just weary of unnecessary chemicals.

Same i try to use the least amount of chemicals possible. I only use a water conditioner and plant ferts. Nothing else goes into my tank unless i trust it.

Back
Top Bottom