algea wafers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJ277

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have never fed any of these ,but see posts about most tropical fish liking them

my only worry?
can this be a start to an algea problem?

truth is ive always wondered about it, but my tank never has any algea unlees a spec or two.(no algea eaters eirther)
and dont want to add something that might strat it!!

have fed lettuce and sliced zuchini- is there any other veggies the typical community fish enjoy?

Hello

About once a week I give each of my larger snails half a wafer depending on how big they are. They immediatly go over and chow down and I even had one snail that used to eat them out of my hand. My other fish try to peck at them at first (esp. if they are hungry) but they dont seem to eat them. This is why I try to monitor the algea wafer because before the LFS just told me to just chuck oone in every couple of days, but if my snails are not hungry it gets all mushy and gross. I dont know if other tropical fish eat them. I always wonder if my pleco would eat one?

Stacie

Algae wafers won't cause an algae problem by themselves; they're usually made of spirulina which isn't found in fishtanks. However, they can be messy, and unless you have fish which really chow on em, bits may mind up in the substrate. Now THAT could cause algae probs as you'll have extra nutrients in the tank, and thats what the algae usually found in fishtanks chow on.

That all being said, while I have an algae eater in my 55g, I have to add extra algae wafers; the loaches and the angelfish fight over em!

i would say if you do not see the fish eating them (maybe try it for a week or so) then just dont feed them anymore.

I use the Hikari brand and algae is nowhere to be found on the list of ingredients! 8O
Actually, the wafers are made from vegetable matter supplemented with vitamins and minerals. Since it contains no live algae, no need to worry about about 'infecting' your tank. Just remove it after it becomes mushy to avoid excess nutrient buildup which can lead to algae growth

And saaebn, according to Hikari's website, www.hikariusa.com, the algae wafers are supposed to be good for plecos too.

My plecos CHOW down on alge wafers. They LOVE THEM. My guppies will peck at the wafer for hours on end too...I can drop 3 wafers in my aquarium and between my larger pleco and small one a guppies...its gone within an hour.

I throw 3 or 4 in my tank every night after lightsout.

Its to feed my Pl*co, of course my snails and crabs most likely also get in on the action.

Actually, it does appear in the list QT; you'll see spirulina in the ingredient list. Tis a microscopic blue green algae found in lots of foods, health products and even cosmetics.

Yup, there it is, right after the white fish meal, wheat flour, wheat-germ meal, alpha starch, dehydrated alfalfa meal, soybean meal, fish oil, brewer's dried yeast, and shrimp meal!!!:?

And I stopped eating cheeze-doodles after reading the ingredient list one day. :wink:

My fantail LOVES them. I guess if you have a fish that likes veggies, it will probabl like the algae tabs.

I feed algae wafer to my fish. I have Danios, Corys, Tetras and catfish. They all love them. My Pleco especially loves them. When I drop one in he/she will sit over the top of it until it gets soft enought to eat just to keep the others from getting it. By the time he is done (if there is any left) it is soft enough for the other fish to eat and they will eat it. I also use Hikari wafers and the package says it will not mees up your tank but to remove what isn't eaten after 2 hrs. I usually leave mine in longer but I have had no problems. It doesn't usually last that long.

MARIE

I use them alot here.
The usual fish ( plecos, cories, goldfish..) but also the more plant inclined cichlids, such as mbuna and some of the South and Central Americans, such as severums.

I am very happy with the new Omega One Sinking Wafer, that www.fishstoretn.com sells.

Check out the thread on them down in Bernie's board>

best,
dino

I am also a fan of the Hikari sinking algae wafers. I bought them for my otos and bronze cories, but the platies and mollies go crazy for them, too. And I have never had an algae problem with them.

My Angelfish plays "keep away" with our algae wafers. So I've started breaking them into smaller bits to scatter. This way the Cory actually gets some!

Sometimes the Angelfish follows the Cory around. When the Cory finds the wafer bit the Angelfish will steal it! I've only witnessed seeing the Angelfish eat it 2 times. Mostly it just looks like it plays with it. LOL It'll carry it around in the mouth spit it out and then chase it!

I'm glad I can tell hubby that the wafers won't cause algae. He was convinced that's what was causing the brown algae. ::chuckle::

I have the problem of trying to put algae wafers in the tank for my otto and the other fish are fighting over it and devouring them and I worry that my otto isn't getting enought to eat...to try peas and zuchini for him as the other fish are just HOGS for the wafers. I tried to sneak one in the tank at lights out and caught a glimpse the other fish going after it in the dark...there is never any left :D

but i guess its better not enough and all eaten then 2 much and it gets dirty :D .

i use the wardly's/top fin algae wafers. the top fins are nice but the wardly's are really messy.

i still gotta get to the hikari wafers but their like 2x the price of the others

Yes your pleco will eat one, hell probably eat several if you give them all to him, mine could probably eat a bag in 10 mins.... (okay maybe I exaggerate a mite :twisted: ) but of course 1 at a time is best. As far as I know, algae wafers will not cause algae problems in the tank

For whatever reason, if I give my pleco an algea wafer 2 times a week, he actually eats more algea off the tank and decorations. He's also becoming more active, coming out when the light is on to nibble a bit. I haven't actually seen any of them eat the wafer, though...

Back
Top Bottom