All meds have failed...How about bleaching everything?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WatermelonsInSe

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My new 90 l (~23 gallon) aquarium that I set up in July has been a horrible disaster. I had some experience with aquariums in the past + I did a lot of research before starting it, so I thought I was well prepared. My fish, Pygmy cories and lambchop rasboras, got sick almost immediately after getting them (main symptoms - itching, paleness, sometimes rapid breathing) and nothing seems to help. I have tried a range of different medicines with barely any improvements in fishes' health - anti-fluke meds (praziquantel), anti-protozoan meds (formalin, malachite green), antibiotics (nifurpirinol) and careful dosing of salt, all with proper treatment schedules. I have tested water conditions at home and multiple times at store (yes, I know about cycling). Nothing has helped. So my big question is - could putting fish in a hospital tank and sterilizing everything help? Like - throwing out old gravel, boiling driftwood, bleaching equipment and tank, sterilizing plants with alum, and starting the cycle all over again? And then perhaps, before putting fishes back, giving them a quick dip of some general meds like copper?

Last edited by a moderator:
Putting fish in a hospital tank might rule out the cause being something in the tank. Sometimes fish just aren't responsive to treatment, or you havent found the correct treatment.

Yes, I removed carbon. Also cleaned substrate and filter before treatment and followed instructions regarding light. I hope that a hospital tank will help to reduce their chances of getting reinfected from the environment.

Back
Top Bottom