Am I Crazy???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vsnsofadrgn

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello there! I havent been on this site in quite some time!

I think I may be crazy! Im thinking of selling my saltwater set up to do a planted freshwater... I really love discus fish. Will the upkeep be a lot less? I dont mind doing water changes, but getting to the LFS for the water is becoming a pain, as is making my own saltwater. I will miss my tank but I think Ive lost that passion for it. How does a freshwater planted tank compare? I have a metal halide (250w) on a 30 gallon with refugium. Will the metal halide light be too much? Do I keep the refugium? The 30 can be upgraded if size is an issue....

Depends, salt water reef or fowlr? And no the halides can be used if you keep things cool. We don't need fuges in FW. If you have a sump keep it though. The upkeep costs would be less if you were keeping reef and more or less the same as a FOWLR.

Oh and discus are pricey fish, 50-$300 a piece.

No you're not crazy at all.

Its a reef tank, with soft coral and a clownfish. There are no LFS that I trust for my water anymore, so I have to drive quite a ways for it. The fuge is a 20 gallon tank, can I convert that into a sump? What do I put in the sump? I have had freshwater tanks in the past but they were pretty basic.

freshwater tanks are rather good, you still have to treat any freshwater you put into your aquarium though, usually by using chemicals. plus a fishless cycle to start is usually a good idea. for some freshwater fish you need brackish water ( ratio of about 1 teaspoon on aquarium salt to 5 gallons of water), just double check that ratio if your considering. as for if you want to convert to freshwater, make sure you choose your fish wisely as some dont get along. but your point is valid. if it costs to much time and money to get the water and you have lost your interest, it might be for the best.

FW seems to be not much less work than SW from what I have heard, but I have never been a saltie (yet) so I can't say from experience. I know that discus are sensitive fish so you would have to make sure you have excellent water conditions. I would recommend cycling fishless (http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html) and I am sure you already know about the cycle, but this is a good place to start.

I also think you should get a more hardy fish to start that way your tank will be established and stable for the discus.

As far as maintenance goes all you need is a dechlorinator like Seachem's Prime to dechlorinate your water before you put it in your tank. Some people just add it to the tank but I treat the water first when I do my water changes. Other than water changes weekly and gravel vac'ing/ rinsing out the filter (in tank water) there isn't much else for a FW tank. Planted tanks are a whole other monster and the planted tank section has tons of experts on that for you! :)

Back
Top Bottom