am i fully stocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
im usually pretty careful about feeding ... so there shoudnt be too much extra food rotting.. like i said previously... i changed the filter after a month and was doing 50 % water changes every day for a week (to cure ph issue) and i added 3 new fish last wed. so- maybe all that combined is making those #s not ideal..i wish i knew about this site 2 months ago!

Well, when I've seen plenty of fish-in cycles on here take multiple months I'm going to disagree.
I know that others things can cause higher ammo, but if it is 1 ppm that's quite a bit of overfeeding, or one messy new fish.
Edit: Changing the filter can definitely restart/prolong a cycle.

jenatron said:
Well, when I've seen plenty of fish-in cycles on here take multiple months I'm going to disagree.
I know that others things can cause higher ammo, but if it is 1 ppm that's quite a bit of overfeeding, or one messy fish.

Or three knew fish lime she said. You can no have nitrates with out you tank cycled or close go also there's no nitrites so how did she get nitrates if it's not cycled and adding new fish raises ammonia until more bacteria can build up to get rid of the ammonia. Then your nitrites will go up and then you will only have nitrates again. Your just doing a mini cycle. Due to the fact you added some fish. This is why your not suppose to by a bunch of fish at the same time. It effects many things

not sure if this helps or not..but im starting to notice what im going to call algae on my plants and near the gravel... (hope algae is a brownish color..) from what ive read... when algae appears thats a sure sign of being cycled???

jenatron said:
I know that others things can cause higher ammo, but if it is 1 ppm that's quite a bit of overfeeding, or one messy new fish.
Edit: Changing the filter can definitely restart/prolong a cycle.

How long does a fishless cycle take? Why would a fish in cycle take any longer. Is the bacteria gonna take longer to develop for some random *** reason? IMO it shouldn't matter and it didn't for me. I put the fish in on mar25 and I was cycle around the 26th of April. So a little over a month but not two

I didn't say her tank wasn't cycled. I just said that 2 months doesn't necessarily mean it's cycled, especially with a changed filter cartridge after a month. You don't need to explain the nitrogen cycle to me, thanks.
Edit: a fishless cycle can take over a month as well, and many members will tell you fish-in cycles do often take longer. I can't tell you why.
Have a lovely day.

Well she has nitrate which means she's already had nitrites. We can also agree to diagree. I say they should take the same amount of time. People who do fishin cycles tend not to know about the cycle or just don't mind doing a pwc like me. If more people say it takes longer that's good but there's is no reason why so I don't believe it and also, ime it takes the same.

Now for the thread. Your tank has started to recycle, it shouldn't take to long since good bacteria is on the gravel plants decor, If you didn't change your filter media it wouldnt take as long because a lot of the bacteria is in there.IMO The reason why is because you got 3 knew fish and chAnged your filter. They most likely give off more waste that you bacteria can't handle, especially since your filter holds a lot in there. Over time the bacteria should build back up but in the mean time test your water and do some pwc.

And sorry for the language it kinda slipped out and didn't notice. :s

u will be fine with guppys. i have this beauitful rainbow looking guppy in my tank. If u feed them flakes and blood worm they get realy bright. i love my guppy. Let me know how u make out.

no- i have not bought guppies... waiting till parameters are better...and now i have a preggo molly so might have to wait a bit.

an earlier discussion was i ..i was told to get rid of mollies bcuz apparently they get to big for a 20 gallon.. so i was considering getting guppies after i got rid of mollies... but i would feel horrible getting rid of a fish when she is preggo...

no clue..infact i just started another thread because i have no experiance in the matter... i spend so much time asking questions on here... its almost pathetic! hahA!

Yea, everyone is here because they like talking About aquariums. And the only thing is sometimes people are wrong, I know I have been. But more people will correct the wrong so you know what to listen to

Same here :p post number usually signifies a reputable person. If people spew crap, they usually get yelled at and leave. But if their post number is high, it means they agree and get along with everybody.

Honestly I would feel worse having her and her babies in the tank that isn't doing so well. It may not be completely cycled, it may be in a mini cycle, or it may just be improperly maintanced. Any way you look at it, the mollies are the biggest waste producers in that tank. The sooner they are out, the sooner you can get your water under control. From my experience, you are going to start losing fish soon if they've been exposed to toxins for a couple months. They already have permanent tissue and organ damage. You have a better chance at saving the fish in there you do intend to keep if you take care of the situation right away :)

siva- you recommend me taking the mollies back to the pet store even if she's preggo.?? my other female is acting aggressivly toward my preggo one...this is a crapshoot! :p I just want to do what is right.. and they are so many different opinons I have no idea what to do!!!!!!!!!

i would just take her out for now and put her in a breeding net unless you want your other fish to take care of her fry it will protect her and her fry till birth then take her and out her back in

Back
Top Bottom