Am I overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aces11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my 20g High i have
4 rainbow platy
6 endlers
6 painted platy
1 wag platy
1 BN pleco

How is my stocking? I've always thought it was a little much but I'm not quite sure.

And whats your water change scheduale? At first glance, yes, its overstocked. Bit i cant know for sure without the necessary details. Lol thays alot of fry too haha

Ya I gave up rescuing the fry. There's always a some swimming around. I don't have a test kit yet but whenever I have my lfs test it amm and trite are fine with a ph just over 8. The only thing I don't know is my nitrate. I do 25% pwc every other week.

EDIT: And the lfs does test with a liquid test kit.

nitrate is pretty much the determining factor. bacteria will build up to handle the ammonia and nitrite, it's the nitrate you have to worry about.

Your nitrate concentration will be a determining factor.

At first glance, fish compatibility looks okay. Still, I don't know if a BN plec should be in there, IDK how well the bioload is distributed in such a small tank with a pooper like that in there.

I would try 25% every week, but that's just me.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Your nitrate concentration will be a determining factor.

At first glance, fish compatibility looks okay. Still, I don't know if a BN plec should be in there, IDK how well the bioload is distributed in such a small tank with a pooper like that in there.

I would try 25% every week, but that's just me.

Ya the BN is alot, but then 11 platys!? Thats alot. +1, nitrate is important

I think you sound good as long as your nitrates test good.

Gboy66 said:
Ya the BN is alot, but then 11 platys!? Thats alot. +1, nitrate is important

Ya I know it's a lot of platys. I've raises them all since they were fry.

Aces11 said:
Ya I know it's a lot of platys. I've raises them all since they were fry.

Oh, thats explains it haha. Couldnt narrow down the ones you wanted to keep huh?

No I couldn't. Although I do have a few favorites :) And I don't know anyone with fish tanks. I didn't want to give them to the lfs because you never know who will but them and whether they'll be a responsible owner or not.

But is my stocking that bad? Besides the pleco?

I mean, ya, its alot. I see that you cant really rehome them, but definatly do frequent water changes throughout the week. 11 platys is alot of bioload, and are poopin machines. Just do your best and watch the perimeters like a hawk.

Also, i would love to see pictures. I bet they are buetys all grown up. :)

Gboy66 said:
I mean, ya, its alot. I see that you cant really rehome them, but definatly do frequent water changes throughout the week. 11 platys is alot of bioload, and are poopin machines. Just do your best and watch the perimeters like a hawk.

Also, i would love to see pictures. I bet they are buetys all grown up. :)

These are the best I can get with my iPod.

Attachments

• image-2944956770.jpg
    image-2944956770.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 61
  • image-834573838.jpg
    image-834573838.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 53
  • image-3349708456.jpg
    image-3349708456.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 59
  • image-536163486.jpg
    image-536163486.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 59
  • image-3926077960.jpg
    image-3926077960.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 52
I do thorough gravel vacs when I do pwc and fees sparingly once a day. Do you think this helps with nitrate levels? I'm gonna try to buy a test kit at Christmas.

Aces11 said:
I do thorough gravel vacs when I do pwc and fees sparingly once a day. Do you think this helps with nitrate levels? I'm gonna try to buy a test kit at Christmas.

Yes, that sounds good. I would do two smaller water changes a week, rather than one medium sized one once a week. That will help with nitrates, and def dont feed too much. Get the api fw master test kit as soon as possible. Things could go wrong quickly.

Btw: awesome pics!! Such colorful fish

Gboy66 said:
Yes, that sounds good. I would do two smaller water changes a week, rather than one medium sized one once a week. That will help with nitrates, and def dont feed too much. Get the api fw master test kit as soon as possible. Things could go wrong quickly.

Btw: awesome pics!! Such colorful fish

Thanks!
Ya thats the kit I'm planning on getting. I'm a teenage student so I don't really have a whole lot of money to buy things whenever so I think Christmas may be the soonest I can get it.

Aces11 said:
Thanks!
Ya thats the kit I'm planning on getting. I'm a teenage student so I don't really have a whole lot of money to buy things whenever so I think Christmas may be the soonest I can get it.

Same here! I feel your pain, its tough! I work like no other, just to fund my 40 g fw and my 30 g sw! You can do it! Lol

Back
Top Bottom