amonia level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ayrton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my 70 gallon sw tank set up for about a year. Everything has been fine but lately I have noticed a small level of ammonia in the tank. about 1.0mg/l. My PH is 8.0 and I have 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates.

Up until recently I always had 0 ammonia. Can anyone help. I have not added any new fish within the last 6 months only two cleaner shrimp.

Thanks very much. The people in this site are excellent and the help is very much appreciated.

anything die recently, have u changed feeding amounts, or type of food, new filter filter change, new rock? anything

How old is the test kit? They do expire from age or heat. My master test kit had to be replaced because the ph and amm went bad. I tested 3 different tanks and had the same problems so I bought a new test kit and everything was ok.

No I have had no die off and I am very careful with the feeding. I have been doing regular water changes. The only difference I can think of is I have been using tap water lately. I normally have plenty of water from my dehumidifier but since it is winter I don't get much. I am using Prime by Seachem to remove the chlorine.

The ammonia test kit is about 2 years old. When I test my fresh water tank it shows no ammonia with the same kit.

yes mine went over after about 8 months. Do you use the same test kit for fw and sw? Is it rated for both with the same color chart?

I just checked my ammonia test kit and it is for fresh water only. All my other kits are for both except the ammonia. I think you have solved my problem. I will go out and buy a new kit for salt water and let you know. Thanks very much for your help.

Back
Top Bottom