Anacharis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aces11

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought a couple of bunches of anacharis and buried them in the gravel. How long do they take to grow roots? And is it safe to leave the weights on them while they're in the process of growing roots?

I'm not sure how long they'll take to root, but I've had some for about a month and a half and they still haven't rooted... But I have endlers and a platy with them and nothing has occurred to injure the anachris! In fact the anachris had doubled in size since I've gotten it:)

AquaKai said:
I'm not sure how long they'll take to root, but I've had some for about a month and a half and they still haven't rooted... But I have endlers and a platy with them and nothing has occurred to injure the anachris! In fact the anachris had doubled in size since I've gotten it:)

Thanks. What kind of lighting do you have? Do you know it I can leave the lead band on the bunches?

Aces11 said:
Thanks. What kind of lighting do you have? Do you know it I can leave the lead band on the bunches?

I spread my bunch into three different tanks so I pretty much took off the lead band as soon as I cleaned them off. In my 12g tank I have 2 10w bulbs, in my 8g I have some random bulb that came with the tank and some random bulb in my 2.5g tank as well. So not that good of lighting. They're doing great though!

Ok. I have a 15w bulb in my 20g where the anacharis are but bread that they grow in a large variety of water conditions and lighting.

Are lead bands aquarium safe? Will they cause the plant to rot?

Aces11 said:
Ok. I have a 15w bulb in my 20g where the anacharis are but bread that they grow in a large variety of water conditions and lighting.

Sorry I have no clue, hopefully someone will say something about it. I'm guessing that eventually it'll lead to rotting, but I'm not sure.

They should root within a week if the plants are healthy and have good lighting. Best to take the lead weights off there not needed. I grow lots of Anacharis in my feeder tank and in a indoor tube.

Aces11 said:

The lead bands are safe to use. They will hold the plant in place if you have to much current, or fish that want them out of they ground!

FreshwaterTropical said:
The lead bands are safe to use. They will hold the plant in place if you have to much current, or fish that want them out of they ground!

Great!
Well I don't have fish that want them out of the ground, but it's hard to keep them in the gravel so I'll keep the bands on until they grow some roots.

Aces11 said:
Great!
Well I don't have fish that want them out of the ground, but it's hard to keep them in the gravel so I'll keep the bands on until they grow some roots.

Anacharis will never really grow much of a root structure so it might be better if they stay on forever, that's what I do!

FreshwaterTropical said:
Anacharis will never really grow much of a root structure so it might be better if they stay on forever, that's what I do!

Will they make the stems rot?

Aces11 said:

Possibly, I have not determined that my self, because I had some problems with my ph, and some of my Anacharis started to come out of the lead bands, not sure if it's because of the bands or the ph. But I think the plants should be fine with the lead bands!

I keep the lead bands on my bunches and i just loosen it a little (not to much or you defeat the purpose). I've only had the stems rot when the band is on to tight.

Mine have been in the tank for a bout a month and have never formed any sort of root structure in the substrate. They have started dropping roots from the stems though which i think looks really cool.

That's correct. They do have small roots that will shoot out at different points, but not a real root structure like swords or crypts. They are found in nature floating and rooted, and because of the way they grow they can be propagated by breaking the stem anywhere and replanting it. Can't do that with real root feeders.

Back
Top Bottom