Angel Fish......just wandering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sshep

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

Hi there,

I was just wandering.........

Can Angelfish be kept as the only one in a tank or do they prefer other Angels?

Also would 1 be ok in a 29gal tank with 4 cherry barbs, 4 zebra danios, 3 Pakistani (yoyo) loaches, and a pit bull plec?

I have read that wild caught angels prefer acidic soft water, however captive bred (wich is the majority kept in pet shops) can tolerate a much wider range of water chemistry. My water is slightly hard and has a ph of 7.2. Would this be ok?

Cheers.
Steve

Angels can be kept singly just fine.
All your tankmates sound decent, except I am unsure about that type of plec, so sombody else can help with that for ya....

Domestic angelfish really are very adapatble regarding ph and hardness. Mine are kept in a ph of 8.2, and are thriving, so if you get one it should do great at a ph of 7.2.

Angels are really not affected by pH and hardness. A pH of 7.2 is even fine for discus. Angels show more natural behavior when kept in pairs or larger groups but a single angel will be fine.

I agree - I have kept angels singly and they do fine. Sometimes it is more troublesome to keep more than one due to pairing disputes and spawning aggression. I tend to have more hard, alkaline water and agree that they are extremely adaptable, so don't worry about that.

A pitbull, rubberlip or bristlenose plec will do great in a smaller tank like that. I think your setup sounds great. :D

Just another voice saying angels do fine solo. In some ways better. I don't recall any agression with the angels that I kept solo. It was only after I got the 55g with multiple angels that I saw the aggression.

Back
Top Bottom