AngelFish are dying need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike Omalley

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had my tank set up for about 3 weeks I know that's not that long and I had 3 angels in there after a week and I added 2 more angels. I bought all of these from petco and I'm guessing there 3-4 months old. The 2 most recent ones died within the past 2 days and one of my original 3 did. So I'm only left with 2 in my 55 gallon. All my levels read 0 and I did a water change and added Malaysian drift wood while adding my new 2 angels. I know my nitrate levels should read 20ppm but it doesn't. My ammonia also jumped to .25ppm after they died..or probably before. My tank is set around 80 degrees with an aqua clear 70 a ugf with 2 power heads that move 170gph. Also one of my angels got stuck to the aqua clear I turned it off it was struggling around the tank and then died. I hate seeing fish die and this was my biggest list yet. I don't have live plants just plastic ones...would live ones help? I planned on putting more decor into my tank to help them being stressed but I don't think they were before..can anyone guide me? Thanks

IMO I would suggest that you have to much current in that tank for angels. Angels prefer still water and to much current can cause they to die from exaustion. You said your level are 0 what all did you check cuz it dont sound like it had enough time to cycle neither

I dont want to come off as a bashing UGF's cuz i know people use them with great success i on the other hand almost lost 9 angelfish using one but mine was driving by air pumps not power heads so it wasn't adding so much water flow but my nitrites went through the roof from the decomposing food under the plates. I would suggest that them power heads are your major problem and should not be used with angelfish.

Well IMO Your aquaclear 70 is sufficient enough...my angel tank i have an aquatech 30-60 HOB with a sponge filter. I love sponge filters because because they are excellent biological filters but also polish your water to a crystal shine. I wouldnt recommend running a sponge filter by it self though cuz they filter very slow but some may disagree with me on that. But if you are using the UGF for extra bio filtration the sponge is the way to go with angels most definitly. If you unhook the UGF dont just unplug the powerheads you MUST remove the UGF plates and give your gravel a thorough vacuuming .

I don't really wanna take out the ugf can I use a bubbler and take out the powerheads? Or will that not help

First of all, if you have read any ammonia and are still at 0 nitrates the you're tank is not cycled. This is the problem. If you tested with strips, those are also unpredictable. I've had strips tell me I had no ammonia during cycling, but then the liquid test kits tell me that I have 3 ppm. So if you are using strips, I definitely recommend getting liquid tests. Some Angelfish are pretty delicate, and could never last a cycle. If you have any still alive, I recommend returning them. And if you already know how to cycle, then go ahead and do that. If not, look up "how to cycle an aquarium" on google.

Also, be sure not to add that many fish at once next time. It causes a spike in ammonia. Good luck with your tank :)

Yeah definitely throw in an airstone. For plants, I'd recommend some low light, easy ones to start you off. Maybe some java moss, java fern, and water wisteria. For me the wisteria grows like a weed. Also I've heard hornwort grows pretty well but I've never had it.

I know I can plant those with my ugf and I would have to monitor them or would it be better to plant it in a flower pot? Also can u direct me to a good guide on plants I'm new to this site...all this help is very well appreciated ?

I don't really wanna take out the ugf can I use a bubbler and take out the powerheads? Or will that not help

I completely understand cuz it is a very hard task especially with fish in the tank with nowhere to put them during the change. I had to do it under emergency and had 9 angels in a 5gal bucket while i took out the plates thank god my angels have been very hardy since ive bought them and could withstand quite a bit of stress. I personally haven't noticed them being too delicate(not saying it aint true!) i just may have been lucky cuz ive also heard many times they can be quite aggressive from a lot of sources but mine have not shone that trait at all...i have continuously added angels to the group months after my first purchase and they have always got a long. Again i may be very lucky. Anyways yes i do believe that will help tremendously although i dont know how thick your substrate is cuz you wont get as much flow with the airpumps as with the power heads although a LFS near me has all their tanks with UGF's drivin with air pumps and i bet they have 2-3inches if not more and dont have problems. That will decrease your current problem but IMO watch your fish very closely. If you notice them on the bottom of the tank for long periods odds are something is wrong with the water and something spiked and your in need of testing your water. Just keep an eye on the chemistry. Like i said.... "I" had problems with a UGF and may not use them again but i know if done right and proper maintenance is done they are successful. But if you intend to add live plants....plan to pull the plates out and just use a sponge filter.

Back
Top Bottom