Angelfish Spawned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingcichlid87

Aquarium Advice Activist
i bought a pair of angels from a local guy i know the all black male is around 5inches and the gold female slighly smaller. they have laid twice since ive had them and the first time the babies got to wrigglers but a couple days later they was all gone i put this down to other fish being in their tank so i bought them there own breeding tank 20g high .. it is currently day 5 on the second spawn the babies have been moved around the tank a few times now. but there aint that many ,aybe around 50 max.. its a bit dissopointing as i expected more but im taking this as a learning experiance so i can better it next time.

brineshrimp being cultured as we speak..

ill post pics or video in a couple days time of them taking there fist meal from me :)

any ideas on why i had a low number of fry? about 30-40% of the eggs turned white maybe they wasnt fertilised ..

good guess they weren't fertilized. sometimes the male gets distracted while she is laying her eggs trying to protect her. next time you no its about time for them to lay try putting a towel around the tank or use a brown paper bag and cut to fit and tape it on. sometime even fish like there privacy. also i have a wonderful breeding pair of koi angels and about every 3rd egg laying session she gets real fat and some of the eggs come out white when she lays them but i don't worry cause she usually lays around 200 to 300 eggs.

yeah ok ill try that out they lay about every 25 days .. yeah these guys lay around 300. but i dont know what happened to teh other the ones that were fertilised that is ..

oh yeah bob can i do water changes still while the fry are in the tank.. im thinking yes as it would be cleaner and more sanitary that way but i thought i would ask you as you have more wxperiance then me in angelfish breeding ..

Continue doing water changes like normal. Only siphon in to a bucket in case of a fry getting sucked up can be withdrawn with a baster or large syringe and put back in the tank. What type of filter do have in the tank?

yeah ok ill try that out they lay about every 25 days .. yeah these guys lay around 300. but i dont know what happened to teh other the ones that were fertilised that is ..

Buying proven pairs can have its own problems. Sometimes the water parameters need to be matched exactly. As well as their diet probably changed as well. Also how long have they been spawning? Could they be running their course? They may need to just settle in.

One thing to keep in mind is that Angels are notorious for moving their fry around the tank. It's enough to drive a breeder crazy!!!!! When I first started breeding them I used to let the parents deal with the eggs and fry until they became free swimming. Once I compared the method of artificially hatching to parent care, I switched for good. If you are trying to make babies to sell and make money, Parental care is not the way to go (IMO) When you have more control of the situation, you can better care for more fry. In Fish, not all fry are predestined to survive. The parents may feel that certain fry just don't look right or act right so they ignore or dispose of those fry. With all the breeding and hybridization that has occurred in Angels, what THEY see as abnormal might just be the "Next Great Thing" in Angelfish development. Also, if some of the fry are weaker, they get pushed aside or overshadowed by their stronger siblings. In an artificial situation, you can see this and separate out the weaker fish which, when given the opportunity, can gain the strength necessary to be a viable fish. This, once again, is why I prefer artificially raising my fish's eggs.

There is also the possibility that the fish might be getting towards the end of their massive productive years ( mentioned before). This is one of the downsides of buying proven pairs with unknown origins. My preference is to buy young breeders and let them pair off. This way you know you have a number of years and spawns you can count on.

Lastly, you would do better to have the parents in a tank by themselves in a more secluded area of the room. As Bob mentioned, fish DO like their privacy when making "whoopie" ;) :D

i dont know how long they have been spawning. they spawned about 3-4 days after i got them and they do every 3 weeks. this is my 3rd spawn now ..

if andy dosent come in send me a pm and i can let u know how. he tought me so much

I see Bob has gotten to you before I did. That's okay :D He's got the method down pat for sure. If you still need a visual, in my Albums section in my profile, there is an album titled Instruction charts. In there is a diagram title Egg Hatching Diagram. I just noticed that my pic does not include a label for the eggs. lol They should be on the side of the slate with the bubbles. Be ready now. Between me and Bob, you should have a whole lot of mouths to be feeding soon ;) Good luck

Back
Top Bottom