Angelfish Stripes Darkening.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Relic1882

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello. I bought 2 angelfish today and I just want to know if there is any particular reason that their stripes are darker. They are deep angel fish that are plain with the grayish black stripes, but in the past 6 hours the stripes are much darker than before. When they were at the lfs the stripes were very pale. Is it because of the fish's mood or something? I know other fish have that kind of feature.

most likely the fish were just a little "stressed" st the store. Most fish tend to "color up" once they get into a little more comfortable tank. I'm pretty sure there isn't anything to worry about, just your fish becoming used to your tank and getting comfortable...

I agree that it is probably due to the stress of being netted, bagged, and moved. Cichlids are pretty intelligent, and they often pout for a few days whenever their surroundings are suddenly or drastically changed. Once their mood brightens, so will their colors.

I completely agree with the stress factor. I've seen it a lot. As a side note, my buddy's got an angel that's quite the color changer. This guy is very similar to what he has.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1178

He will go from having his stripes completely faded out so that he's mostly silver to having the stripes black as night in 6 seconds flat. He'll do the reverse just as quick. Not sure what the deal is, or who he's showing off for. We've watched him tons to figure out what triggers it. It appears to be nothing. We'll even see it from across the room, so that ruled out he's doing it for us. Cracks me up. He'll just be hovering by himself and BAM! Just thought I'd share.

Definitely a stress/mood indicator. Good live/frozen foods can bring out the best in fish. I have a pleco that gets pale splotches when it is unhappy, dark black when it is happy. Angels are both hardy and finicky at the same time!

Back
Top Bottom