Angelfish won't eat after worming treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GNarnian

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everybody! First off, sorry for the long post but this is kind of complicated. I, or rather, my best friend, has a 75 gallon tank with 5 medium-sized pearlscale angelfish, which he purchased online. After about a month or so, it became clear that they had callamanus worms pretty bad. Following advice De-worm 3 Flake was purchased on Angelsplus. The angels were fasted for a day then fed the flake food to begin treatment.

Right away she rejected the food completely. She would go to eat it and spit it out immediately. The other fish ate it and were cured, however this one was not, so the other fish became infested again.

After almost another month, The commercial sheep/pig dewormer was ordered, used, and success! No more worms!

That was 3 months ago, and the original angelfish that rejected the flake food still won't eat. It has been almost 4 and a half months, and as you can see by tue pictures, she doesn't really look so hot. :-(

We thought she was getting bullied by the other, now much larger angelfish, so she was moved to a smaller hospice tank at my house with the thought that she might eat in a less aggressive environment.

It's been a week, and she looks much better, (The pictures are from today, so you can imagine how bad she was) but I haven't seen her eat more than a couple very extremely small pieces pieces of flake food.

The only way I can describe it, is she has no follow-through. She'll swim to the top of the tank like any healthy angelfish and beg for food, will swim up to the pieces, then swim away, ignoring it. She'll do this several times. If she does eat a piece, 9 times out of 10 she'll spit it out.
She won't eat bloodworms or brine shrimp or beefheart, nor will she eat algae pellets. She'll tear apart lettuce but eat none of it.

Does anyone have an idea about what I could do to make her eat? Does she just hate garlic? I know most fish food is made with it... she had a normal appetite before the treatement though. Could she maybe have something caught in her mouth?

Any help is most welcome, I don't think she could last much longer like this!
Current tank parameters: ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 15ppm or less pH around the 6.8-7.2 range.
(And sorry for the long post)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130121_225641.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130121_225641.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 82
  • ForumRunner_20130121_225702.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130121_225702.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 76
I would treat her again with some general cure or something like that for internal parasites. It's not a great sign that she won't eat anymore. You could soak the food in some medicine too.

She won't eat medicated soaked food. She'll show plenty of interest in the food, she'll come up to the surface to almost-eat but reject it.she'll chase around the ghost shrimp in the aquarium but not eat them.

Other than not wanting to eat, she doesn't show any symptoms of illness, (no clamped fins, no lethargy, etc) so I am loath to medicate her again.

I guess I would treat her one last time with something different and see if u see improvement. If the fish won't eat I would probably euthanize. I'm dealing with the same thing right now. Small gold severum hasn't eaten in months it seems not sure how its still alive. I've treated with general cure and now clout for 4 days still won't eat. Time to go to fish heaven I'm afraid.

Back
Top Bottom