angels doing ok so far...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I decided to try angels one more time. I got two half dollar sized ones day before yesterday and so far so good! They are in QT and fins are spread, and they ate for me for the first time today. I've got temps up to 86 just to make sure if they carry ich the lifecycle will run for 48 hrs. They seem to be enjoying the warmth. Fingers crossed for good results!

Good luck! Juvie angels are hard to keep alive (speaking from experience), but once you get past that one or two months stage, they'll do awesome! (y)

I decided to try them as well. I done well in the past with community and another time with cichlids. I've had my angels for 4 days and they seem to be doing very well. They even ate on the first day. Does it really take 2 to 3 months before they will be well on their way to a heathy and long life?

Donavin said:
I decided to try them as well. I done well in the past with community and another time with cichlids. I've had my angels for 4 days and they seem to be doing very well. They even ate on the first day. Does it really take 2 to 3 months before they will be well on their way to a heathy and long life?

I'm not sure. IME mine was healthy and started to be more active and flamboyant after the one month mark, maybe yours will be too. :)

So far mine are pretty active. I am wondering what I can add to my 55g tank with them. I'd live to have a very active and colorful but not aggressive tank and no cichlids. Any suggestions?

If ur gunna add fish i would suggest waiting for a little bit until your angel is all settled in. I u add fish to fast he might get stressed out and die. Just something to think abt

Thanks NuNu. I had that in mind but was just looking for suggestions for adding fish down the line sorry I didn't clarify. This is my first try with Angela and I'm not sure which other species of fish will make good active colorful but non aggressive tank mates.

Donavin said:
So far mine are pretty active. I am wondering what I can add to my 55g tank with them. I'd live to have a very active and colorful but not aggressive tank and no cichlids. Any suggestions?

Depends on the temperament of the angels. Usually cories work all the time. As do Pristella, bloodfin, and phantoms or any other similar looking one (excluding serpaes and black widows, and a few other exceptions as well), since they're not (most of the time) fin nippers. The rest is up to the angel on what they are like and what you want in the tank

Yea. Iv had my angel for a few months though and he is a very hardy fish. I have him in a 40 with 7 large glowlight tetras and 7 hatchetfish as well as the bottom feeders. What u want to remember when picking tank mates is that angels get big, and any fish that will fit in his mouth will be eaten. I am worried about my glowlights, but it will be a while till my angel is big enough to eat em :)

You do not want to have agressive tank mates at all, if you get a fish that will nip his fins or is even the slightest bit agressive, ex him off te list. The most beautiful part about the angelfish is his long flowing fine, so u want to protect those. I would not suggest getting barbs. I would DEFINITALY suggets tetras, and just about any type would be great, as long as they get too big for the angel. So i wouldnt get neons. Anything els will be ok! I personally love lemon, penguin, black skirt, and bleeding heart tetras! Try not to stress out ur angel fish too much and feed them blood worms! Mine loves those things. Goodluck with ur angel!

Ps. Also try to add some "flowey" plants in ur tank. I have got loads of hornwort and my angel (gabrial) loves to swim through it :) have lots of open space for swimming and remember no agressive fish! ;)

Angels are cichlids BTW. They are south American and they do well with other south American fish like bristlenose plecos. They do well with large tetras that they won't eat. Also with corys and loaches.

Mine are still looking good. I can't wait to add them to my tank!

Thanks Ashley. I didn't want cichlids because the last time I have a cichlid tank I had a mating pair of Jewels and once they mated they killed almost everything in the tank even after I took the fry away. I just don't want that to happen again that's why I don't want an aggressive tank again.

00youknowit00 said:
An angel IS a cichlid do you know.

Yes i realize, but just because a kitty cat is part of the cat family, a lion would still devour it. Same concept

Kuhli loaches are great with angels. So are ancistrus. Some people say ancistrus/plecos will suck on the angels, but I've never had that happen.
Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom