Anothe ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intimatecple

Aquarium Advice Freak
After the transfer to larger tank I found this growing ...Looks to be happy as well. It is brownish in color and looks like a colony of tube worm (feather duster colony?)

Attachments

• Fish Tank 125.jpg
    Fish Tank 125.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 63
  • Fish Tank 126.jpg
    Fish Tank 126.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Fish Tank 128.jpg
    Fish Tank 128.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 53
Hydroids it looks like.

Fluff will chime in with more information on them but I'm pretty sure that is what they are.

Good or bad??? They do not seem to be bothering anything but they are on a rock that i plan to have corals on and would rather not have a problem... They have not gotten any larger than what they are (about a quarter size) since the move

I have a small colony similar to yours in my tank and have had them for at least a year now. I haven't had any issues with them either. I know that under certain circumstances they can spread like mad but I haven't had that problem. I don't know much about them, hopefully Fluff will chime in she knows more about them.

The little I know about them is that they thrive in high nutrient conditions. To control them, I would say just keep up with water changes and don't overfeed your tank. To eradicate them I really don't know or I would have gotten rid of mine. I believe I was told recently though that using a kalkwasser mix as you would with aiptasia will work on these as well. Hopefully James will stop by and post an oppinion as I believe he was the one I was discussing it with. :) (Cindy passes the ball...) ;)

The little I know about them is that they thrive in high nutrient conditions. To control them, I would say just keep up with water changes and don't overfeed your tank. To eradicate them I really don't know or I would have gotten rid of mine. I believe I was told recently though that using a kalkwasser mix as you would with aiptasia will work on these as well. Hopefully James will stop by and post an oppinion as I believe he was the one I was discussing it with. :) (Cindy passes the ball...) ;)

Sure, drag me into this :p I have eradicated tubed hydroids successfully with kalkwasser slurries, basically suffocating the colonies in a blanket of white paste. The one's you have pictured can also be removed manually: Take a firm grasp, twist, and pull; As if pulling out a carrot stalk XD The non-tubed hydroid varieties are more difficult to kill with specific types not affected at all by kalkwasser (tubed varieties, like aiptasia are more likely susceptible to internal pH alteration).

I know I don't have many post's and most of them are questions "but". I had a small blue legged hermit trapped by a set of these today, I had to push it out of their grasp with my ever so handy turkey baster. I also know that boiling water from the turkey baster will eliminate them and aiptasia. Be sure not to get to close to any wanted inverts as it will kill them to. I personally killed my small colony today with this method. Good luck!

ThrowedToad, I don't want to take this thread of course but I would like to caution you on your boiling water method to cure everything. I have a feeling in a few days or even a few weeks, your gonna find it isnt' as a reliable method as you think. Good luck.

Just to second Innovator's comments... kalk paste does work on colonial hydroids, as well and the grab/twist method. I have a few small colonies and 'prune' them on occassion. They haven't bothered anything... in fact a colony that was by my torch coral disappeared - guess the torch coral won! I'll have to try the boiling water trick and see if that works better! [Agree with Cindy too, regarding aiptasia, at least.]

Back
Top Bottom