Another Q??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waterlilly

Aquarium Advice Activist
What are some nice colorful fish to go in the Aquarium with our betta? We are thinking of Red Neon Tetras, or will the betta not be able to live with them? He is in our 40 gallon tank so there is enough room and he himself has lots of hiding places. Here is a piccture of him so you can see the colors of him and stuff, like i said i think red neons will go nicley but not sure if the betta can live with them.

Attachments

• betta.jpg
    betta.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 78
I know of people that keep them with bettas. The thing you want to avoid with bettas is fish with huge fins like angelfish, other bettas and serpae tetras. If the other fish start showing off their finnage then the betta could go in and fight/kill the other fish (the other fish can and will fight back and the betta could be killed off). it is something i learned a while ago :D

Well then that leaves out moving our Black Widow Tetras then, lol thanks for the input now i understand why we have to be careful of what goes in there with him. Its like last night we had the light off on the living room but the light was on in the tank and he saw a reflection of him self and started to puff out his sack by his neck not sure what that is called the puffs out when he is trying to intimidate his opponet

Yeah ... he flares at the other fish to say he is a threat and as a warning ... its great.

Yeh i find it so beautiful and interesting i could watch him do that all the time but i know i cant cause it not good to aggravate him 8) , but from what i can tell he seems to be an easy going guy and he loves to sit right under our defusior.

You can keep any fish that will not compete with his finage. You will also want a faster swimming species. Neon are a perfect tank mate. Others would include Harlequin rasboras, danios, ect.

BTW you betta is beautiful. I've always liked the Crowntails. :mrgreen:

Have you ever checked out Harlequin Rasboras? The females are sorta a lighter red/brown color however the males have very striking red on them. I love these fish, and mention them to about everybody who asks for advice on a schooling fish. I have a school of 4 (but I want to get a few more) in my 55 gallon with a betta and they are fine together. Also, most any schooling fish would be ok for you, IMO. Just make sure you stay away from the large finnage or anything like resembling the betta such as the paradise gourami.

Good luck with your choices.

Here is a link to the rasbora:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1065

Thanks :oops: yeh when i first saw him i fell in love with the coloration of him we saw so many with one color and i didnt really like them and then i saw him and was like he is the one,lol it was the same way with my guppys. I really liked Harlequin rasboras and come to think of it i think he was swiming with those fish, are they a school fish or do they swimm sepratley i cant remember.

Rasboras are schooling fish.
Very nice betta!!! I have a female with the exact same coloration :D

Back
Top Bottom