Another question about fish choices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

portia

Aquarium Advice Regular
Right now, I have a sword, a platy, a dwarf gourami, and what I now know is an upside down cat (20 gal tank).

They seem to be doing fine, so I have been researching what to add next.
My daughter really likes the look of the tiger barbs. Their water requirements seem to be compatible with what I have, and they are in the easy category by most profiles.

The only downside is that they are prone to be "fin-nippers", according to the profiles. I don't have any large, slow moving fish that they could catch, I don't think, though. The sword and the platy zip around and the dwarf can move when he wants to. The cat never comes out from under his rock. I can't imagine that the barbs would get under there after him.

Do you think a small flock of barbs would be ok?

I have never had a good experience with tiger barbs. They seem to have nipped at any fish that I have put them in with. Two of those being a sword and a platy. Cant vouch for the gourami and the cat, but I havent had alot of luck with the barbs. Maybe I have just gotten some mean ones though.

I second what spoonman said, I have never seen peaceful barbs, ever. I would probably stay away from them since you have a sword and platy in there. The DG could probably stand his own ground, as well as the catfish. Anything else would be nipped to death over time.

My friend had 5 barbs in a 30g tall with a huge paradise gourami in it and it even got nipped at often. In less than 2 months they killed her 4 long fin zebra danios. After that, and seeing the damage done to the gourami, she got rid of them.

Are you guys just referring to the togers, because the profiles say cherries are peaceful. Or should I just stay away from all of them?

I was referring to tiger barbs, that's what was in the OP. I'm not familiar with cherries so I'll let the others take over. Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom