Anubias question: Which part is the Rhizome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firteen888

Aquarium Advice Activist
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/plant1e.jpg/

Hi all,

Sorry for my ignorance, but I purchased a few anubias plants and read afterwards that you're not supposed to bury the Rhizome. I'm not really sure what the rhizome is. Is it the entire bulky part at the bottom? if so, how do you keep this plant in your tank without it floating around? I currently have them sitting on top of my gravel, which is fine, but once I put fish in the tank, I'm sure they're just going to get pushed around. Can I bury any of this bulky part?

I included a pic of my plant, which is starting to turn brown (I've only had it for 6 days). Is it OK to bury the part that I circled?

Thanks

Yep .. pretty much the Rhizome is the stem portion that you see at the bottom. Similar with Java Fern. What most members do is tie it down to a piece of DW or a rock to allow the roots to attach ... give it a couple of weeks at least.

I'm looking to get some Anubias next time I'm at Petco, and I'll look to tie it down to a rock or my DW.

Ok thanks, so I shouldn't bury that part at all.....hopefully it attaches before I add fish,then hopefully it won't float away once fish bump into it

You can use sowing tread or fishing line. I would say that mayb in a month you can cut the line.

Back
Top Bottom