Any cycling tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That tells me that you just didn't transfer enough media. Both ammonia and nitrite consuming bacterias are present, and working, but they are playing catch up. They'll get up to speed soon, but you need an ammonia source in order to continue to grow them.

What is the turnover rate of your filter? That plays a significant role as well, since the faster the water is run through the filter, the lower the standing concentration of ammonia. A low turnover rate can allow the ammonia and nitrite to build up to levels that the bio filter cannot handle yet.

If you can get your hands on some ammonia, you can dose the tank and grow the bacteria colony larger before reintroducing the fish. Shouldn't take more than a week I'd say.

From the store. Ace hardware sells it - I'm sure others do too. You want pure ammonia (10% concentration IIRC) - no dyes or perfumes or anything. Just good ole' janitorial ammonia.

I've heard people ask about peeing in their tank to supply ammonia....

Ew... Now thats gross lol. Regular ammonia works? I mean i can give that a shot. How do i make the water safe for fish again after that?

The bacteria you transferred to the new tank will consume the ammonia and convert it to nitrite, and then different bacteria consume the nitrite converting it to nitrate, which is relatively harmless. That is the nitrogen cycle - the foundation of what keeps the fish alive. It appears to be doing that now, just not to the level needed to suppose the fish. For a fishless cycle they say to dose to 4 ppm but in this case you could do 1-2 ppm I think. If I'm mistaken hopefully someone will say so.

Okay ty! I will look more into this method. If i cycle with fish i guess ill use a few cichlids from my 125. They cycled their first tank quickly, which is actually the first tank ive owned

Yesterdays levels were nitrate: 40 nitrite:.50-1.0 and ammonia: .25.

Todays readings were nitrate: between 40 and 80, nitrite .25, and ammonia 0.

Looking about right?

More or less. Nitrate test is tricky. Nitrite will probably be 0 tomorrow. Were it my tank, I would put some fish in it and dose with prime if you get a reading other than 0. It doesn't take long for the bacteria to catch up.

I added some media filled w bacteria from my cichlid tank today, im thinking im going to put a few of my sa cichlids into the tank to get the job done. Only issue is the ph is a little too low and temp is too high for them. so i have to adjust that first. Thats tomorrows project

Nooooo. You'll want to ensure that your bacteria colony is larger in order to add larger fish like that. Too, you should be adding a group of discus at one time. If that's the route you take then you should really grow the bacteria beforehand with ammonia. For the discus I wouldn't add them till your tank can process 4 ppm a day.

Ok! So im going to throw some of my cichlids in there and let them hang out and build up that bacteria i need. Thank you for all your help

That'll work. Good luck, and you're welcome.

Keep an eye on your parameters and if you get some ammonia, just dose with prime (or whatever you use) and retest the next day. If still ammonia, water change. Just keep repeating that till it zeros out.

Will do! Taking home some chocolates today. Highlight of my deal was getting some discus! In my cycled 20, going to walk in severum mamas foot steps until my 55 is good to go. They were too beautiful to say no.

Back
Top Bottom