Any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadylady23

Aquarium Advice Activist
I purchased 3 Mollys that were in my big 55 gallon tank, within days one Molly started getting a white puffy looking spot on it's head so I put them in a 10 gallon quarentine tank, the spot went away and I just figured it was an injury. They were in there for about a month when she gave birth and so I moved them all back in the big tank and left the little tank for the babies. WELL NOW..... She's looking weird again! Now she's getting like a cloudy/fuzzy spot on her back fin and one of her side fins. I don't get it! The only difference between the tanks that I can see is that the ph of the little tank is usually between 7.2-7.4 and the big tank will never rise above 6.6. But the other Mollys are fine so I don't really think the ph is causing this, could it? I tried to get some pics but it's hard to see in them. Here ya go, hope the pics work. Also, when I moved them to the quarentine tank after I bought them I added some salt to it. My big tank doesn't have salt. Can I add salt with my irredessent sharks? I heard it's bad for scaleless fish.

fish 002.jpg

fish 003.jpg

PH- 6.6
Ammonia-0
Nitrites- 0
Nitrates- 20

No don't add salt with your ID sharks. You can either treat the tank with melafix/pimafix or better yet QT her and treat with antifungal medication. Such as Jungle's fungus elliminator. The lack of salt may have brought on some stress. That does not mean they can`t live without salt, but changes can cause stress.

Gotcha, Do you think if I get this to clear up again by QTing her, it will just happen again once I move her back into the big tank? If I treat the big tank will it harm the other fish in it? Thanks again

Gotcha, Do you think if I get this to clear up again by QTing her, it will just happen again once I move her back into the big tank? If I treat the big tank will it harm the other fish in it? Thanks again

Can I treat the whole tank with all the other fish in it? Thanks

Okay, so today it's back fin looks like it's melted away (don't really know how to describe) but it's definately smaller like someone took a chunk out of it but it's got that white coloration around it.

If it is fin rot how do I treat? Just with the antifungal stuff? I have this "Binox" stuff that says clears fungus and bacteria, will that work? Says it's active ingredients is sodium chloride, nitrofurazone. Or should I get the Jungal Fungus elliminator like stated above?

Thanks so much, I'm setting up the QT tank now.

sounds like fin rot
You will need to go buy a fin rot med, melafix wont fix it

you can do a water change, but melafix is weak and really doesnt do much to the diseases it says it helps,
the fin rot med might run along side the melafix you would need to talk to the LFS, i have never run either along side each other

If it is indeed fin rot, melafix helps in minor cases. If it is more severe you need another medication. Since you have binox I would do a water change and add the binox in the prescribed amount. Fin rot can be caused by a number of things, fungus or bacteria included. Binox is a broad spectrum medication so it should help with the cause of the disease.

Hey, I have this Molly in a little 1.5 gallon tank right now and this Binox says 1 teaspoon for 25 gallons, is there an easy way or chart to use to figure out the right dosage?

Thanks again, you guys are great! If it wasn't for this site my fish would probably be dead.

Back
Top Bottom