Any interest in drift wood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zparticle

Aquarium Advice Addict
Would have put this in the for sale section but I'm not ready to sell anything, just trying to find out if it is worth the effort.

I would like to get a feel for the market for drift wood pieces, large and small. If I cleaned and boiled pieces of various sizes so the buyer wouldn't have to go through that trouble do you think you might be interested at a fair price? Also would most people only be interested in larger pieces or small to medium?

For instance here are some pieces I haven't cleaned up yet and may just use in my tanks. Are the simple straight pieces of any use to anyone or just the twisty types?

View attachment 48555

View attachment 48556

I think thats quite a good idea if you have a place where you can find it easily. i personally only have a use for small to medium pieces due to tank size, and cant think of much of a use for some of the straight pieces i see in your picture, unless someone would want to sortof build a bunch of small hiding spots by stacking them diagonaly

I'd be interested in some smaller pieces.
We get alot washing up here on Lake Ontario but, I have no time to clean and prepare it.

The reasons I'm thinking of doing this are:

1> I have access to a fair supply when I got up in the mountains. Plenty of it to be found in the fast flowing streams.
2> The prices in the store seem pretty crazy to me. Of course some of the pieces, like one I bought recently (Malaysian hard wood), in stores I could never match.

I don't expect to make much if I decide to do this but a few extra bucks here and there would be nice. :)

What are you thinking for a couple medium sized pieces? Enough to provide some hiding spots in a 10G tank but still leave plenty of swimming room.

Man some short, tree trunk shaped pieces would kill sales :) if you find any tree shaped pieces, let me know, I want to make a mini underwater bonsai, with my willow moss

What are you thinking for a couple medium sized pieces? Enough to provide some hiding spots in a 10G tank but still leave plenty of swimming room.

I would consider those small pieces. I have to see what I can come up with but I wouldn't think more than $5-7 before shipping costs for a small piece. Obviously much of that depends on how much time I have to spend cleaning the various pieces up. Some would require a lot of work and some not so much so the price would vary by piece. Unless of course I find that there is enough interest to just flatten the cost based on size only.

Man some short, tree trunk shaped pieces would kill sales :) if you find any tree shaped pieces, let me know, I want to make a mini underwater bonsai, with my willow moss

I will do that and I'll make sure to keep my eyes open for them. :) It may be awhile of course because I'm just starting to think this out a bit. But I will keep any eye out and even if I don't do this and I find one I'll let you know.

Well clearly there is at least some interest so maybe I'll start collecting some pieces and getting them ready. I'll post back in this thread when I have enough to feel comfortable starting to sell. Thanks folks. Also if you have specific types of items you would like to see, for instance the tree trunk looking pieces, post them here and I'll keep an eye out for them.

I would really like a piece that would spiders over into 2-3 branches ... If that makes any sense... lol

Yes i would like the medium sized type with multiple "cave" looking holes for my chiclids

I'd be interested, especially if I don't have to do anything except put them in my tank. I've got a 20H, and would love some with some hiding places for my ram.

i have two young plecos i hope to keep happy and healthy so they can live get big :) id deffinitly be interested in buying a small piece or two for them to chew on, the ones at the pet store are out of my budget at the moment :S

I have quite a bit of driftwood, mostly cypress I think, my biggest issue selling it was figuring out the shipping costs/boxes etc. Once you have that part figured out all you have to do is get the kind of pieces people want. Look at the pieces in some of the really nice aquascapes, that basic design is what most people are into, the branchy twisty stuff and root/stump looking stuff.

I have quite a bit of driftwood, mostly cypress I think, my biggest issue selling it was figuring out the shipping costs/boxes etc. Once you have that part figured out all you have to do is get the kind of pieces people want. Look at the pieces in some of the really nice aquascapes, that basic design is what most people are into, the branchy twisty stuff and root/stump looking stuff.

You should take some pieces of different sizes/weights to your local post office and ask them what the most cost effective method to ship them would be. When I was selling books online the PO was my best source of info and help.

Back
Top Bottom