Any issues with my stocking list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjdodson05

Aquarium Advice Activist
Plz tell me if this sounds okay. I have been researching for weeks and these are the fish and filtration that I want for my 55 gal:

3- yellow tail acei
4- rustys
6- yellow labs
6- maingano
1- bristlenose pleco

Filtration: Eheim Classic 600 Canister Filter 2217

I think you'll be ok. The only 2 problems i see are the pleco, which a lot of people have success with in a cichlid tank but many dont as well. Also once breeding starts happening, you may have some issues but you can manage that. Your acei will be most peaceful where as your maingano will be most aggressive IME. Rustys are fairly peaceful but they bicker a bit sometimes. Your labs will pretty much keep to themselves.

Ahh yes... im on mobile, guess i missed that. Gonna need some more filtration to keep up with that overstock.

Ahh yes... im on mobile, guess i missed that. Gonna need some more filtration to keep up with that overstock.
Which canister would u recommend? I'm trying to get everything researched and planned out before I start buying anything at all. I don't want to rush into anything since this whole idea costs so much..lol. And also, do you recommend a different blue cichlid that would go well in a 55 gal with the rest of my list? I am indecisive about the mainango bcuz I have heard so many different things about them...some say they are peaceful some say they are really aggressive...

I do plan on buying all of the fish at the same time as juveniles so I have heard that will help with them all getting along rather than adding a couple fish at a time. There is no place to get quality cichlids near where I live so I have to buy them online(which adds to my total costs) and does anyone recommend any particular website to order from?

Ive always used cascade canisters. Always had good experiences with them.

Livefishdirect.com they have some pretty awesome fish and an awesome set up. They are local to me so it makes it easier. I'm useing a fluval 306 in tandem with an AC 70 on my 55. I've had good luck with the cascade canisters and I hear that the sunsun canisters are pretty durable. But honestly the best thing you can do filtration wise is get the best bio media you can I'm using biohome mini ultra in my canister it's a little pricey but you get what you pay for. Also make sure you have enough surface agitation either with a bubbler or power head. I get most of mine with my AC because of the waterfall effect it has.

I just bought the fluval 306 ? my lfs had it so I went ahead and bought it...now I have to figure out how to get it going..lol

Fluvals are easy I have 2 404's on a 90 gal with 25 mixed Malawi's. Just stuff the bottom tray with sponges or whatever and then pack ur bio-media into the other trays on top of that. I don't use carbon or anything else but if u do then put that on the top tray. Put both ends in the water securely and pump the priming stick till the bubbles are forced out of the canister entirely (at a certain point u'll feel the syphon start and see the bubbles flow out of the outlet tube without pumping). Clean the sponges once every other month or so and ur good. Don't clean the bio media with tap water. If u really must swish it around in old tank water during a water change.

Ive always used cascade canisters. Always had good experiences with them.

Me too. Running the 1200 with my 60 gallon right now with great results.
4 trays for media, so from bottom to top it's Foam, Bio Rings, Bio Rings, Carbon/floss.

Ran the 700 for years on my 55, never an issue. Good bang for the buck.

One thing I would say about the stocking would be to be careful of the male female ratio. Since ur buying from juveniles it'll be tough to get it right unless u get extra of each (like 8 or 9 of each) and then rehome or donate any extra males and only keep 1 male of each species and keep any females u get. A good ratio is 1 male to 3 females minimum. Best of luck!

Thanks! But I have decided on Demasoni and Yellow Labs...and I've heard that it's nearly impossible to distinguish the sex of Demasoni. I was told that as long as you get a large enough group of them that they will be fine. Is this true?

Please keep us posted with pics. Dems and labs are a combo ive wanted to do for a long time

Yeah I have decided on my stocking list a dozen times so far, and then I keep changing my mind again..lol..I want the pretty colors but also want to keep it somewhat simple... But I am finally dead set on my demasoni/lab decision now...now I am just debating on whether I want to get 3 of the syno catfish to keep the fry number down in my tank or not.

Im not quite ready to order my fish yet...I got these rocks from a local landscaping co and I just got a few to decide if I liked them or not...so I am going to get more Monday so that I can stack them higher and make more caves...and I also want a plain black background. I would like to buy better quality lights but that will have to wait since i bought that new canister today and my upcoming fish order will be so expensive..ugh 1483769730862.jpg

Back
Top Bottom