API kH test confusion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishN00b83

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am confused by this test. The directions talk in circles and it kind of drives me crazy. I'm just going to explain how I do it, and let me know what my kH is, please lol.

1. I take 5ml of water
2. I put (1) drop of solution in the tube, and it turns a VERY pale blue (almost not noticeable)
3. I put an other (1) drop and it turns yellow

Now the directions say that it's done when the water turns yellow. So does this mean I have a dkH of 1* or 2*. It says to count drops, do I count the inicial one, or just the ones after?

my water does the same thing. your water is very soft if it turns yellow with the first or second drop. i keep cichlids that like soft, acidic water.

jpchin said:
my water does the same thing. your water is very soft if it turns yellow with the first or second drop. i keep cichlids that like soft, acidic water.

I'm getting GBRs tomorrow, hopefully they acclimate well to it. From what I've read, they should thrive in my water.

they should be fine. i have 2 gbr's. my ph is 6.5 and is also 1-2 drops. make sure you acclimate them slowly (i recommend drip acclimation) but at any rate go slowly. also when you add them to the aquarium turn off the lights to give them a more stress free introduction. i uusually leave them off at least a couple of hours. here's a few pics of the babies. i got 2 males because i didn't want them to breed and also didn't want any aggression if they had fry. here they are. love them. they are very personable fish.

Awesome! I plan on drip acclimating them for a few hours. I also planned on not having the lights on all day so they can get settled. I am told I'm getting 2 male and 2 female. Im nit really worried about them breeding. If it happens it happens and I'll deal with it then.

i think it is recommended that if you want to establish a pair you should get 1 male and 2 females to keep the males from fighting each other for the female. if you don't want a pair i would recommend 2 males. mine get along great and even though the females are pretty i don't think they are nearly as colorful as the males. if you can get a pic and post after they get settled.

jpchin said:
i think it is recommended that if you want to establish a pair you should get 1 male and 2 females to keep the males from fighting each other for the female. if you don't want a pair i would recommend 2 males. mine get along great and even though the females are pretty i don't think they are nearly as colorful as the males. if you can get a pic and post after they get settled.

I mean I dint want to, but if t happens, it happens. I'll for sure post pictures once they get settled.

Back
Top Bottom