Apisto cacatuoides breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! that is progress! Congratulations! So, that is more fry needing a home LOL.

My apists have yet to spawn.. :(

here are my readings: pH 6.8, Nitrite 0 , Nitrates 10-15 ppm, temp 79-81 F, KH 3

I have about 4 good spawning spots (terra cotta). its been about 4 weeks since we got

the first pair, and 2 weeks since we got the 2 triple red. Am I being impatient or am I

doing something wrong?

and to make things worse.. the first female, is showing the "about to perish" signs.:

laying on rock all the time, slow heavy breathing.

I feed them a variety of food - BioBlend cichlid pellets, BioGold color pellets, and

frozen blood worms.

but on a happier note.. i just installed the eheim 2026
:D

I have just put 4 Apisto fry from previous spawns into a dedicated fry tank. It is small but I only need to get the fry to a size where they are out of danger. I hope that they do well in this tank. I think it is about a 4 gal tank.

I am going to get a 20 and 10 gal tank specifically for apistos now that my 20 for Rams is up and running. That way the 80 gal won't have so much breeding activity.

Speaking of whick they had some chequer board cichlids at the LFS today. Kinda pricy but might make good additions. Still hanging out for Keyholes though.

Anymore updates Mattrox? :D
You should try to get a hold of freezedried bbs for your fry, it's allot more efficient in raising them. I too have the sera powder food thing, and they nearly don't touch that. I've bought a jar of freezedried bbs eggs, for around 7 U.S.$. I haven't even used 1/4 of it yet, and I've been feeding it to my keyhole fry for 2 and a half weeks as their only food source (once in a while some sera powder, to see if they will take some of it, only yesterday they finally started eating from it) :roll:

You just let the freezedried bbs sit in hot water for 20 minutes. I use a 2ml siringue (sorry for spelling), to aim the bbs at the fry, and it works great for me. :)

Back
Top Bottom