Appisto selection for my 20gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you're wanting fry? Corys and plecos are out... a nice shoal of ember tetras or green neons. You could also do 12 rummynose tetras. If it's a sand bottom I'd opt for the corys and just step up the cave game. Lace rock is nice, it offers lots of little nooks and crannies to stick eggs to. I once pulled a piece out and she had managed to stick about 30 eggs to the roof of the cave?!?! Game on cory;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The embers MIGHT be ok but most other tetras are accomplished fry predators. Lacerock as good as it looks will eventually raise the ph. So cichlid stones, clay pots and driftwood are better spawning areas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The embers MIGHT be ok but most other tetras are accomplished fry predators. Lacerock as good as it looks will eventually raise the ph. So cichlid stones, clay pots and driftwood are better spawning areas.

Crap, did I get that wrong? I've been told it's inert.. is this lace rock or am I totally wrong??

Attachments

• 1410706869141.jpg
    1410706869141.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 63
Crap, did I get that wrong? I've been told it's inert.. is this lace rock or am I totally wrong??

You definitely have lace rock. Lace rock is composed of calcium carbonate, better suited for Africans and saltwater. Unfortunately you were given horrible information about it being inert. On the upside I caught it and saved you from someone else's possibly demeaning lecture lol.

You definitely have lace rock. Lace rock is composed of calcium carbonate, better suited for Africans and saltwater. Unfortunately you were given horrible information about it being inert. On the upside I caught it and saved you from someone else's possibly demeaning lecture lol.

Well shoot, I've had it in my tanks for almost a year and nothing... bare in mind it's only one small rock in each tank. I even did the vinegar test and nothing.. perhaps if you go a lb/gal it will jack the ph? Haha yah.. old have been drawn and quartered for that one:);)

Well shoot, I've had it in my tanks for almost a year and nothing... bare in mind it's only one small rock in each tank. I even did the vinegar test and nothing.. perhaps if you go a lb/gal it will jack the ph? Haha yah.. old have been drawn and quartered for that one:);)

Weird mine always reacted, I guess it's possible that yours is a different type of rock, I got mine when I lived in Florida so I guess it's possible it was collected there, making it limestone based. curiosity has me now and I'm gonna have to poke around the net a bit.

Well that was a quick search lol, apparently there are several types of rock sold as lace rock so it looks like it's a crap shoot as to whether or not it will be inert.

Well that was a quick search lol, apparently there are several types of rock sold as lace rock so it looks like it's a crap shoot as to whether or not it will be inert.

Yah, i got it at my specialty lfs, dude knows hie rocks, said Texas holey will most def jack the ph up but what I have will do nothing.. wouldn't be the first time they snuck one by me..2 fem panduro pair huh??? Haha

I was going to design a slate rock cave or just do a ceramic. I'm scouring the diy cave sites. I want something as natural as possible. Here's my tank so far. Very basic but a work in progress. Only java fern so far. Gonna do some anubias. I have a low light setup with one t8 Floramax bulb. My tank is only 12 inches high.

uploadfromtaptalk1410711910635.jpg

Also I found these little hitchhikers in with my java ferns. What are they and do I even want them? Loluploadfromtaptalk1410712310430.jpg

Get them out.. you'll have a sheet on the surface in no time..

I am getting really close to being cycled now and wanted to see what you guys thought.

I'm wanting to get
3 cockatoos m-ff
10 serpae tetras
10 cardinal tetras

Not interested in breeding but if I decide to I'm setting up a 10 gallon. Probably won't breed though

Is this too heavily stocked. Aqadviser says 119% but I know it's not reliable.

I kind of wanted two groups of schoolers in there.

Sent from my SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Ditch the serpae, they are too are too active for that tank o believe.. what about rummynose?

Ditch the serpae, they are too are too active for that tank o believe.. what about rummynose?

I like those but heard they were really sensitive.

Have you thought about nannostomus marginatus or eques? Cutting back to one school of tetras and adding pencils will occupy all levels of the water column.

My ph is 7.6-7.8ish. Well they acclimate to that and be ok. I've read they like acidic

Nannostomus marginatus have a very wide range in the wild and parts of that are in harder water so those should be fine and they often spawn under normal conditions. I found a few fry in my tank and the ph is 7.6. The eques on the other hand are found in the upper amazon where it is predominantly blackwater and I'm not sure they are captive bred in commercial numbers so they would likely need a bit of acclimation.

Back
Top Bottom