Aq advisor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is to the really experienced fish keepers. How acuarate is aqadvisor? More specifically if I overly filtrate, keep up with waster and stock smart can I over stock by 10 to 15 percent? Just seems like they might be to conservative on the site

It's been helpful to me to get an idea of what I'd like to stock when I first set up, but I don't pay much attention anymore. I just monitor my numbers closely. As long as my numbers stay good and the fish co-exist well, I figure all is well.

Just to clarify, even if your parameters stay in line, you should do regular water changes. And yes, they are conservative and definitely ere on the side of caution.

Ok just wanted to see if I could go a little over what they recommended. Thought I could but wanted to be sure

The biggest thing to overstocking is that things can go wrong quickly in an overstocked tank. Especially if you don't keep up with routine maintainence. The type of fish will also play a roll. You'll need to observe your fish to make sure that they aren't feeling the squeeze of the overstocking. It's not all about the filtering, it's also about the "elbow room."
Think of it like a subway car or a bus that has every seat filled and everyone is happy then 1 or 2 more people get on board and somebody may not be too happy with having someone standing in front of them. In fish terms, that unhappy someone may become highly aggressive or get sick from the stress. This is why sites like aquavisor suggest understocking rather than overstocking. Don't forget, as your fish grow they will need more room. For example, 1 Zebra Danio will not need as much space as 1 Blue Gourami even tho you may get them when they are both the same size. The Gourami gets bigger so it eventually needs bigger space.

Hope this helps

aqadvison is an excellent aid and yes, you can go a bit over what they say. If you use it in the default "full adult size" mode ...... it's way to conservative but if you base it on the actual fish size it's pretty much on target.

Of course ...... the fish can grow faster than one might think. I recently realized my fish have grown quite a bit in the last few months and now I am running at 110%. [I guess I better go from twice a month 25% water changes a month to three times a month ... although both my tanks have crystal clear & "polished" water.]

EDIT: I just looked at your profile and the picture labeled
My tank
08-27-2013 11:43 PM

sure seems to have cloudy water. Has it cleared up and are your water's parameter OK ??

That was awhile ago when I first set up my tack and didn't know what fishless cycling was.

If you watch parameters like a hawk and assuming your fish are all peaceful community fish I would suggest at the very most going to 130% stocking level.

Back
Top Bottom