Aquaripure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curious1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just saw an ad on here for Aquaripure. It claims to rid your tank of nitirtes. Does anyone know about this filter and if it is really what the ad says it is? Is it simple to operate like my HOB or is it like a canister filter which I had nothing but trouble with?

If this product rids your tank of trites, then it will interupt the natural process of the cycle. In other words, your tank will never cycle completely because there is a product that removes a step in the cycle. So, you will always have to add this product to the tank. My best suggestion is to let nature take its course. While this product may be good for a short term prob, like the one that you just posted about, it will do nothing that a "free" water change won't do. Save your money for your fish ;)

I know my LFS has something like that. I don't know how well it works but they recommend it if there is either a mini cycle or even a problem with the city water. Some well water has nitrites in it as well.

I thought this was a piece of hardware like a filter rather than a product added to the water.

The type they have is like a filter floss they have it for phosphates too. I don't know how well it works since I am the type that likes to do things the natural way. In my freshwater tanks it is plants and water changes, in my saltwater it is water changes and since my saltwater tank is new it is a lot of water changes.

Just for clarification, Aquaripure is a Nitrate filter, not nitrite. I believe it uses a very slow drip system with a substrate so that anaerobic bacteria can form over time and de-nitrify the water. IMO, the same could be achieved in a basket in a sump or hang-on inside the tank, with small holes drilled for flow, a drip pump of some kind, and something like Seachem de*Nitrate

It's a simple denitrator. They claim it comes with live bacteria (which I doubt.. aka live sand), make some disparaging comments about sulfur denitrators and talk about their high quality parts.

A denitrator is nothing more than an closed system that promotes the establishment of anaerobic bacteria which consume nitrate. There are several types, coil and sulfur being 2. Search the web there are many many DIY ones out there.

Not sure about the claim that it can replace all your filters.. One stop shopping.. Not for me thanx.

In the end , water goes in if anaerobic bacteria are present they will consume nitrate and release nitrogen gas as a by product. The good ones are recirculating because you want the tank water to have lots and lots of contact with the medium. It appears there's is not.. Hmmm..

Any google it.. There's a great thread on RC about a sulfur denitrator (probably many). A power head, some pvc and few other things and you're in business.

Back
Top Bottom