Aquarium & Health Hazards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just need to ask because I am a cautious person.

Just started with an aquarium late this summer as an adult. Last time I had one was in grade school 20 years ago and with just a goldfish.

I am now learning about maintaining a healthy tank for my freshwater fish and thought to voice my concerns with keeping an aquarium and any health risks of maintaining it.

Can we get sick from fish? Between cleaning it and maintaining it with the various conditioners and treatments we use for the water, that is. Obviously, good hand washing is automatic. But things like ick and dropsy from fish, can it be transmitted? Also, having introduced to the API brand, that's what I use and there is a cancer warning in the back of one bottle regarding the treatment med Pimafix, mistakenly bought to treat dropsy. The scent alone took 2 days to air out, despite it's "all natural" indication on bottle.

I use gloves when I clean the tank but obviously water seeps into them. Thoughts, anyone?

I usually just wash well after, but a few months ago I was treating a tank for ich and after I would vacuum the substrate, the inside crook of my elbow would break out slightly in a itchy red rash. Lasted about a day. I bought some almost shoulder length rubber type gloves off of Amazon and that fixed my issue. I don't know if it was just the medicine or what. Gloves were cheap tho

The health concern topic is brought up quite often on the forums. The general consensus is "No worries". Just use common sense & don't overthink things regarding everything aquarium. I've been sticking my bare hands in fish tanks for over three decades. Although I've cut my hands on rock & coral, been bitten by big Cichlids & been exposed to meds laced with copper & formaldehyde, I'm still here, very healthy.
Relax a bit & enjoy the hobby.

The health concern topic is brought up quite often on the forums. The general consensus is "No worries". Just use common sense & don't overthink things regarding everything aquarium. I've been sticking my bare hands in fish tanks for over three decades. Although I've cut my hands on rock & coral, been bitten by big Cichlids & been exposed to meds laced with copper & formaldehyde, I'm still here, very healthy.

Relax a bit & enjoy the hobby.
I think the formaldehyde or formiline in the ich med is what I was reacting to. I've never had that issue before, and I haven't since. So I totally agree with your conclusions.... too much everywhere else to be worried about, just wash and enjoy the hobby!

Essentially, you're putting your hand into a (fish) toilet.
Treat it the same :whistle:

For example, if you've got open cuts on your hand, find another way.

I never really worried much when I was messing around with chemicals.

Nowadays I rarely, if ever put my hands in my tank or use chemicals for that matter.

It’s probably the best thing I ever did [emoji846]

Back
Top Bottom