Aquarium Ick/Fungus Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mokihanagirl55

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30 gallon fresh water tank, have tropical fish of Molly's and guppies. This is the 3rd time I've encountered having ick and rot on my fishes. What do you think is going on?

State water parameters: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, temp, water change amount/schedule; when were new fish introduced?

I have a 30 gallon fresh water tank, have tropical fish of Molly's and guppies. This is the 3rd time I've encountered having ick and rot on my fishes. What do you think is going on?

Only 2 weeks ago. I conditioned the water and everything

I suspect that your tank is not cycled. Do you have a test kit? That would be the first step.

Yes have a test kit, my ph and amonia is level was off, went to pet store for the solution to balance everything. Hopefully it works.

I see. Since your tank has high levels of ammonia, I would do a 50% or more water change a day until your readings ammonia readings are 0. This could take 2 weeks. Be patient, and your tank will cycle. Your fish may be beyond saving, but they may pull through with the massive water changes every day. Good luck.

Looks like you rely a lot on chemicals...the solution to pollution is dilution. Filter your water through charcoal and let it sit for 2 days. Make sure you are matching the temps for the new water and be sure to wash your hands before handling water and fish. Check your filters and carbon. If your carbon is more that a month old, you need to toss it and replace it with fresh charcoal. Be sure to keep your filter media clean. If you have channeling, old carbon or dirty filters, the first sign in fish stress and disease. Mother Nature is simple but VERY consistent. Water changes are a must and must be on a set schedule. The smaller the tank, the more water changes you need. If you use meds to treat Ich and other problems, remove your carbon from your filters, or the meds won't do you any good. After the issue has cleared, replace carbon and filter media. One other thing to do it raise your tank temp to 80 to 84 degrees for 5 to 7 days. This interrupts the life cycle of certain viral and biological pathogens. Good luck.......Dwayne

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom