Aquarium safe rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soul-Man22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just picked these rocks from my backyard and am wondering if they would be safe to put in my freshwater tank, thanks!

Put some vinegar on the rock, if it bubbles, or has any reaction, it has lime in it and it will change your water chemistry :)

Beyond worries of changing the water parameters (which can be addressed with the vinegar trick above), my main concern with using rocks from the backyard is that they may be contaminated with pesticides or some other toxins. Make sure you scrub the rocks down well in hot water with a bristle brush (one that hasn't been used with soap or chemicals) to minimize chances, and then give it a good soak or boil.

Ok thanks for the help guys! I tried the vinegar trick and nothing happened then I read somewhere that that method is not very reliable and that using ph down would trigger a better reaction so I tried that and still nothing, I then washed all the mud off and scrubbed them well and soaked them in very hot water, there in the tank now and look great! Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom