Aqueon water changer, help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainMako

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all, I just made this account, but I had previously come to these forums with lots of questions before I even started my tank. I didn't save my log in information so the account is pretty much lost. Anyway, I've had my first freshwater tank for a few months so far and everything is going great.
But earlier today I received my 50ft Aqueon water changer/ vacuum gravel in the mail and I am attempting to test it out. I don't know if many people use this or not, but I was just tired of lugging gallons of water up and down the stairs after I cleaned my entire tank. I understand how it fills a tank, but I have another load of questions if anyone is familiar with the equipment or just might know anyway.

1. Do I need a battery for this thing? I'm following the instructions and the thing will not vacuum gravel. There are very little instructions included and from what I can find there is no spot for a battery.

2. So it vaccums gravel and fills tanks. I assume that when it is pulling the junk off of the gravel it is also siphoning the dirty water out of the tank and emptying it into the sink. I bought it under the assumption it would do that since the word siphon kept coming up, does it have this function?

3. How in the heck do I switch it to any other function besides fill? There are the valves which open and close, yes, but does it automatically vacuum when the valves are at the right setting or start siphoning out water at the right setting, etc.

I normally wouldn't have trivial questions like this, but the only instructions I have are a few sentences and pictures for only filling and vacuuming. Really hope somebody knows something, the tank needs to be cleaned soon and water changes aren't doing it.

Please and thank you,
Shaun

P.S. Just out of curiousity of finding my old account, I remember talking to a user on here from eastern Washington near where I live. It was months ago but if they remember me it will probably be with memories about how I couldn't understand the ammonia cycle.

Hello! I have a friend named Mako..nice guy!

I have the python (different version) but I think they work the same.

1. You do not need the battery. You have to hook it up to the faucet to create the suction. When you turn the water on, it will start the siphon.

2. Yes it is pulling junk and water at the same time.

3. One end is the siphon tube with the on/off switch, and the other end is the end that connects to a faucet. On that connector, there is a twist (i would like to say knob) thing on the very bottom that if twisted and pulled down, it will drain/siphon out and if twisted up, it will fill.

Hope that helped.

I agree. No battery. I have the Aqueon water changer that looks like this:

313tJRvKclL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The part that is the sink attachment has a little blue valve that you can turn. Straight up like in the photo is the suctioning postion for the gravel vacuum; turn the nob downwards slightly and it kicks into water change mode.

Hook the changer up to the sink with the valve up. Turn the water to cold and turn on. You will hear air suctioning through the tubing. Walk the gravel vac to your tank and stick the end in. (You can leave the water running for a faster change or turn it off. As long as the gravel vac end stays in the water, water will continue to siphon.)

Thanks for looking at the topic guys.

Sorry about my ignorance, I hadn't ever dealt with any kind of siphoning before so the pulling of water I didn't quite grasp.

I will try it again today following the replies, I had a go at it yesterday before checking too. I had it all hooked up and ready, I was going to try and test it by filling the sink with some water and gravel.
Filled most of the hose up with water and had the vacuuming piece just above the gravel. I turned the faucet on and at the same time opened the faucet valve so it would have both faucet water and the hose water flowing out. I figured that would create the siphon. Not so.
After following the included instructions and turning the valves every possible combination, the only feature I achieved was putting more water in.

I don't know if it is because I filled the hose too much, the hoses were at the wrong angle so the water would not flow out (it is still mostly in its factory coil shape and I was at the sink so I understand if that is the case) or if I am just plain doing it wrong. I will give it another go today and try not to get so ticked off this time around. I will actually try it on the tank to see if it changes anything.

One other thing to include: To reach my tank, I will have to have this hose running up some stairs. I figure if the suction actually does start working that won't be a problem?

Thanks again you guys, I will pick it up soon enough.
Shaun

Filled most of the hose up with water and had the vacuuming piece just above the gravel. I turned the faucet on and at the same time opened the faucet valve so it would have both faucet water and the hose water flowing out. I figured that would create the siphon. Not so.
After following the included instructions and turning the valves every possible combination, the only feature I achieved was putting more water in.

No need to put water in the tubing when siphoning. Just turn the water on and wait until you hear the air suctioning through the tubing (you will hear it) before you put the vac into the water. Most times it won't start siphoning water if you have the vac already in the tank. You need to turn the sink water on and THEN put the vac in the tank water.

It does get easier once you get it all figured out!

No need to put water in the tubing when siphoning. Just turn the water on and wait until you hear the air suctioning through the tubing (you will hear it) before you put the vac into the water. Most times it won't start siphoning water if you have the vac already in the tank. You need to turn the sink water on and THEN put the vac in the tank water.

It does get easier once you get it all figured out!

That was something we tried and the directions refer to, but I overlooked it because all it seemed to be doing was releasing water from the faucet, having it pass through the sink attachment and hit the sink. Is this what causes the suction? Then once it begins and you place the vacuum against the gravel it will vaccum it and siphon out the dirty water at the same time? Starting to make a little more sense.

I was fuming at the thing yesterday, looking at the "Easy water changes!" claim on the packaging while I was having trouble just getting it to work.
In time I suppose.

That was something we tried and the directions refer to, but I overlooked it because all it seemed to be doing was releasing water from the faucet, having it pass through the sink attachment and hit the sink. Is this what causes the suction? Then once it begins and you place the vacuum against the gravel it will vaccum it and siphon out the dirty water at the same time? Starting to make a little more sense..

You got it. :)

I was fuming at the thing yesterday, looking at the "Easy water changes!" claim on the packaging while I was having trouble just getting it to work.
In time I suppose.

It took me a couple times to get proficient at it, but it does really make PWCs easier. I have 4 tanks. Two in our main floor of living that I use the Water changer to do PWCs on and two upstairs that don't have easy access to a sink, so I have to siphon water myself and use buckets to pour water back in. The water changer IMO makes things so much easier and creates much less mess.

Great. I will try it again soon on the actual tank and use this thread for reference. :)

I'm just hoping to at least cut the work in half, either by allowing me to empty the tank faster or fill it faster. If I can achieve both, I'll be golden.

Great. I will try it again soon on the actual tank and use this thread for reference. :)

I'm just hoping to at least cut the work in half, either by allowing me to empty the tank faster or fill it faster. If I can achieve both, I'll be golden.

Hook it up to your sink. Twist and pull the "knobby" thing down, so it's "open". (Make sure the switch by the siphon is in the "off" position. Turn the water on (high for larger tanks; lower for smaller tanks). Put the siphon in your tank, flip the switch by the siphon to "on", and start slowly agitating it through your gravel, moving up and down. When you move up, it'll drop the gravel back down, but keep taking the dirty water out. When you're finished, empty your siphon, and start lifting/coiling the hose as you go back to the sink - it will drain as you walk. Turn your water off, finish draining your hose.

When you're ready to fill, turn your water on, leaving the bottom "open", until you get your temperature right. (Again, make sure the switch by your siphon is off!). Once you're ready to fill, twist, and push up on the knobby thing until water starts to run through your hose. Put the siphon in your tank, and turn the switch to "on", and fill.

This thing really is a dream. My biggest problem with it was I'm short, and it took me a few tries to figure out how to manage all that hose by myself.. Once that was taken care of, life was gravy. 15 mins, tops (no broken back!), and tank maintenance is done.

Just going to gather everything and make even more simple directions because I am dull like that. Right now the entire water changer is set up and attached to the faucet.
I'm assuming it goes like this:
1. Attach to faucet
2. Open sink attachment and turn on faucet, close vacuum (Unsure).
3. Let water run until air suction is heard at the vacuum end.
4. Place vacuum into water above gravel, open the vaccum end.
5. Continue to allow water to run until vacuuming is finished.

Just going to gather everything and make even more simple directions because I am dull like that. Right now the entire water changer is set up and attached to the faucet.
I'm assuming it goes like this:
1. Attach to faucet
2. Open sink attachment and turn on faucet, close vacuum (Unsure).
3. Let water run until air suction is heard at the vacuum end.
4. Place vacuum into water above gravel, open the vaccum end.
5. Continue to allow water to run until vacuuming is finished.

Yes.

(But you don't have to wait for anything - you can open the vacuum end as soon as you put it in the tank.)

Yes.

(But you don't have to wait for anything - you can open the vacuum end as soon as you put it in the tank.)

All right. Here goes nothing I suppose. I will remove the fish and the decor just to have it out of the way. Will the siphon end just start sucking up dirty water and cleaning the gravel on its own once the suction starts? Or do I have to move it around or kick some of the gravel up?

All right. Here goes nothing I suppose. I will remove the fish and the decor just to have it out of the way. Will the siphon end just start sucking up dirty water and cleaning the gravel on its own once the suction starts? Or do I have to move it around or kick some of the gravel up?

You have to move it around. (There's no reason to remove fish and decor, however. Depending on the size of your tank, you may not want to vacuum ALL of the gravel at once - just a section.)

Eh. Too late. So its hooked up and the vacuum end is waiting by the tank, I will remove the fish in a moment or just be careful.
So right now I turn the water on at the faucet with the sink attachment open so it falls right through, and after some time it will start suction?

AND

The vacuum should be set to off right now? Until the suction has started and then I put it in the water and open it?

Eh. Too late. So its hooked up and the vacuum end is waiting by the tank, I will remove the fish in a moment or just be careful.
So right now I turn the water on at the faucet with the sink attachment open so it falls right through, and after some time it will start suction?

It'll start suctioning quickly. And, if you're not there holding it, depending on the pressure, can launch itself right out of the tank, unless you have it held in place with the lid or something.

Ok, you edited it to add that your vacuum is set to off. Good.

Go for it. You're good to go. :)

Ill be there holding it and moving it around the gravel.
Answer for the edit? Sorry about how spontaneous this is, lots happening at one time.

All right then, nevermind that last post.
Thanks a bunch, I will keep posting as this goes on. I'll turn the water on now and wait by the vacuum until I hear something.
I'll put it in the water after that, then open the vacuum and it should start, in theory.
Any idea how long it might take with the water on for suction to start? And will I hear it or just have to take my chances and put it in the water?

All right then, nevermind that last post.
Thanks a bunch, I will keep posting as this goes on. I'll turn the water on now and wait by the vacuum until I hear something.
I'll put it in the water after that, then open the vacuum and it should start, in theory.
Any idea how long it might take with the water on for suction to start? And will I hear it or just have to take my chances and put it in the water?

It starts immediately. (1-3 seconds)

Back
Top Bottom