Are Amano shrimp safe from filter intakes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sobersteve323

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are Amano shrimp safe from getting sucked up in a standard fluval filter intake? Or are they smart enough to not get in a bad situation like that?

As a general rule, any healthy adult animal can avoid filter intakes. With a few notable exceptions such as certain snails and some very small saltwater fish.
I've had only already sick fish or fry get sucked into filters in freshwater.

you can always put a piece of sponge over the intake if you have problems with it. I've seen some people have trouble with it, and others that don't.

Really fry / baby shrimp and those that are sick / dying can get caught up in intakes. As mentioned, healthy stock should have more than enough strength to simply swim away.

I wouldn't worry about it. I have kept amanos of varying sizes for 8 years or so and have never had one get stuck to a filter intake. They are not as delicate as they look.

So I shouldn't really worry about buying the smallest/youngest at the LFS?

Not really, unless your buying fry and newly hatched shrimp. The only filter I have with a sponge with is in my RCS tanks since I don't want the baby shrimp going into the HOB filter ... as small and weak as it is.

Neither of my AC-70's in my 75gal have anything covering the intake and I've seen my Amano's swim right by it.

I guess while I'm at it, what's the safest way to get the shrimp from the QT to the display? If the tank temps are both the same can I just net and drop or is it recommended to also acclimate them to the water in the display?

Ha..ha.. I just purchased an Amano shrimp from my trusted LFS for my RCS tank ... Wanted to add a little variety. With shrimp I do a 2-3 hr drip acclimation, then into it's tank ( I do QT fish)

Now, if I could only find Tiger Shrimp at decent enough prices.

Amano and Cherry shrimp thrive by me, the minute I try stuff like CRS or Tiger Shrimp, they die after 2 weeks:(

Ugh .. gotta be the worst, the hardy shrimp do well, get more sensitive shrimp and they belly up.:facepalm: That would be enough to make me:banghead:.

Back
Top Bottom