Are cardinals tetras agressive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SadSoyBeans

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i know that tetras are in the piranha family, but would a group of 15 in a 29 be agressive to a keyhole cichlid or a group of kuhlis? (i dont actually have these fish yet)

That would not be a problem. Cardinals are more likely to nip at each other than a keyhole or a kuhli loach. Even then, they are pretty tame.

I have kept Cardinals (and Green and regular Neon Tetras for years) They often act active - busily chasing at the tails one behind the other - could seem like they are nipping.

Have not seen them biting or aggressive with each other EXCEPT when there was a problem with water parameters. And they acted very aggressive along with the other fish very agitated. Not a normal behavior for the them.

Many other Tetras will nip frequently. It depends on the species.

Also if the ratio of females isn't enough for the number of males there can be additional issues. Breeding time can cause some fish to act out too. Again I haven't ever taken the time to check my M to F ratios with the Neons or Cardinals and they have all been fine.

Kuhlis would be fine with them. But I just do not know about Keyholes (no experience or info in my brain about them.)

Back
Top Bottom