Are my platys pregnant? And if so why are they not dropping fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tinaml88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok guys first post. I have 5 platties that seem to have the big round bellys and some are squared off like ive read about. But, they dont seem to be dropping their fry. Ive had 4 show up recently. 2 bigger ones 1 medium and 1 small one but they all look pregnant still. I dont think theres any males in the bunch but 1 died about a month ago. What can i do to help them and do you think any are still pregnant? Theres lots of cover for the fry to hide in. I also realized im horrible at taking pictures of fish. :lol:

Attachments

• 20210102_224507.jpg
    20210102_224507.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210102_223251.jpg
    20210102_223251.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210102_223536.jpg
    20210102_223536.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210102_223630.jpg
    20210102_223630.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 28
The orange one in particular looks pretty plump and might be pregnant, but the photos are not up close to tell for sure. Typically, freshwater fish take about 30 -50 days to give birth. How often do you feed them? If they are over 50 days old and still looked bloated, chances are they could be suffering from dropsy, which is a common fish intestinal disease caused by overeating.

Its been almost 2 months but they dont seem sick. They play and chase each other with no problems. And they are fast. Its so hard to get good pictures. Ill have to try again later. And every so often a find a new fry in the bunch so i know atleast one is pregnant. Just not sure why its taking so long for them to drop them all. Most are plump 4/5. 2/5 have squared off bottoms. And im feeding them twice a day. But as soon as i turn Round the food seems to be gone so they eat it quick.

I also just checked my levels on all my tanks since i just got a testing kit. I was gifted all the tanks fish, and equiptment working on upgrading them to better stuff.

This tank
20g tank, topfin hand on the back filter (20 to 40g) gravel subatrate, platic decor and plants.
5 adult mickey mouse fish and 3-4 maybe more fry and 2 mystery snails

Ph. 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate between 0 and 5ppm hard to tell

I have balloon mollys and mine are about to drop fry any day now. It definitely feels like a long time. I hear if you keep the temp higher, like 78 - 80 degrees, it helps them give birth faster but warmer waters irritate fish. If you have seen fry before than chances are they are still pregnant, and if you have a male in the tank they will always be pregnant.

However, I believe you are feeding them too much. Once a day is enough, from what they tell me. My balloon mollys are aggressive fish so they need to be fed well. But I was feeding them too much to the point the males where getting a belly, and me thinking they were caring fry, when I finally realized they were male and just overweight. They can die as a result.

Also, if you are feeding 2x a day, your nitrates should be higher than 5. You don't want it high, but feeding them 2x a day would definitely raise those nitrates. That's because the more they eat, the more they poop, and the more they poop the higher the nitrates go. Because I was feeding them 2x a day too, my nitrates were going up and I had to do a 20 percent water change 2x a week sometimes. Also, ph 8.4 is very high. It needs to be b/w 7.0 - 7.8, but definitely under 8. You might need ph down. When ph is either too high or too low, it effects their scales and are susceptible to disease. I had guppies in particular swim and eat perfectly normally and then die the next day. Also, did you cycle your tank?

Yes i did cycle the tanks. I learned that the hard way. And what confuses me is i have 5 tanks. Some the ph is 7.4 others are 8.4 same amount of fish in the lower oh as the higher and they all have water from the same source. I also learned that the nitrate test i need to really shake the bottle up so that could be messing with my test. Im going to redue it tonight and see if i get different results.

Oh and all tanks have the same substrate deco and plants.

Ok i was able to get a few mew pictures. These are the 4 that have the big belly. 20210106_191931.jpg20210106_192022.jpg20210106_192019.jpg20210106_191942.jpg

If we are looking left to right, the top row, right, has a black/dark spot by belly called 'gravid' spot. That pretty much is the indicator of fry. Are these pictures of the same fish?

No they are each of a different fish. The main focus of each picture is the fish. There might be some reflections.
If we are looking left to right, the top row, right, has a black/dark spot by belly called 'gravid' spot. That pretty much is the indicator of fry. Are these pictures of the same fish?

Both blue ones jave that black part. I just didnt get it in the one picture of a blue one.

Back
Top Bottom